The Flower Girl by Summer Cheng (@SummerCheng37)

Description

 Natsu sees her every day. He does not know who she is. He sees her tending to the flowers in a garden behind her house. Who is she? Will he ever take the opportunity to find out?

    Natsu's POV:

    I saw her first time three weeks ago.

    I watched in awe as she walked past, her blonde hair pulled up in a ponytail. I followed her to see where she went and saw her go behind one of the houses. I noticed she tended to the flowers. 

    It seems she has a green thumb for them.

      There were azaleas, roses, hydrangeas, lilies, pansies and more.

           I  took notice of her doing this as part of her daily routine.

          The question in my mind was why did she do it? The house had been vacant for years. Yet she tended the flowers as if she felt they needed the attention.

            Today, I  saw her come again. This time she finished watering them, she knelt and removed some weeds. Then, I saw her add some mulch around them.

            "There that should do it for now," I heard her say.

                I had not dared to say anything to her.

                 Who was she?

                Why did she take care of a flower bed long forgotten by the previous owners of the empty house on the lot?  The house had sat empty for many years. A sign in the yard reads For sale.

                 I noticed she had removed the vines that had spread over the siding to the place. I saw that she had planted a lovely trellis of pinks and purples in front of the tree that stood tall in the front yard.

                    I saw her turn to go.  Dare I approach her this time?

                    With a determination that I should, I walked up to her. 

                 "Miss, why do you come here so much to tend the flowers?"

               I heard her gasp as if she were stunned that someone had spoken to her.

               "I did not mean them any harm. I saw they were unspoken for and I love flowers. I did not think it was right that they should be neglected. Oh, I do hope it was okay, sir," She said.

               "It is fine, for I often thought it a pity that since the previous people moved out no one was here to take care of the property or the plants. Then, you came along and began to tend to the flowers. Natsu remarked.

                  "What is your name?"

                "I am Lucy Heartfaila, and you are sir?"

               "I am Natsu, Natsu Dragneel,"  I said.

              "It was a pleasure to meet you," Lucy said.

                "It was a pleasure to meet you as well, "I said.

                Time skip...

        Every year after this, the girl tended the flowers, and every year I dropped by.

    This year I helped her and I noticed her appearance had changed. She appeared to be a bit paler than before and I admitted it troubled me.

       Lucy sat on a bench and brushed away some sweat. She drank some of the water I had given her.  She watched as I finished pruning the roses, and completed removing the few weeds she had missed. I added the mulch around them this time.

     Together we took turns watering them.

     The flowers had grown and spread out more over the years since she first arrived.

        I wish I could say this story had a happy ending, but that would be a lie.

        I  took her home, my flower girl.

        I had grown to love her over time.

       I knew she had grown to love me too.

   Yet despite my asking her twice to marry me, she had refused.

  I never understood why she turned me down.

   "Lucy, why will you not let me care for you?" I asked.

   "Natsu, I love you, but I have so little time left," She said.

    I knew then that the illness which made her weak had taken a toll for the worse.

       I stayed by her side despite her protest. I made sure her last days on earth were happy.

    Two weeks later, she passed away, my flower girl, Lucy. I wept at the funeral and planted a small shut from one of the roses she tended before she went away.

      I promised to tend the flowers in her stead and I plan to keep that promise.

"Farewell, Lucy, my flower, my girl, my flower girl, " I whispered.

The end...

bye-bye,

little owlets!

Summer out!