Gale AU Fancy Seeing You Here? one-shot by Summer Cheng

Gajeel  Firefox heads to the library.  He arrives there around 3 pm.  He is glad to see the display of  William Shakespeare's books is still available.  He finds a copy of the play, "The Merchant of   Venice"  that he is after.  He goes to the check out counter.  As he waits in the long line, Levy MacGarden enters the building.  

       Now, it has been a few months since Levy last saw Gajeel.  This is because she was upset with him when he took on a mission with Natsu, Lucy, Happy, and Juvia.  She thinks he is smitten with Juvia.  She ignores the urge to go over to say hi to him.  Instead, she selects a huge, thick book entitled, "Hamlet"  by William Shakespeare.  She thinks it ironic it is a tragedy since this is how she feels about her love life at the moment.  She feels like her whole entire well being is in a downward spiral.  She does not believe there is anything she can say, nor do to fix it.  

        Levy carries the oversize item to the check out area.  She finds herself in line right behind the very person she wishes to avoid.  Nevertheless, she still refuses to give him eye contact.  She still does not say a word to him.  Not one solitary word.  She gets worn out from the enormous size of this particular book but dares not admit it.  She does not want to give him the satisfaction to know she struggles to keep a grasp on it. 

        Gajeel can not help, but notice Levy seems to have outdone herself this time.  He does not say anything though since she appears to be on the edge.  He tries to recall what he did wrong to make her give him the silent treatment.  However, he finds himself at a loss for words. 

      He turns around slowly when he hears a pant and a grunt. He stares at her in amazement as she continues to attempt to keep her hold on the oversize copy of  "Hamlet"  as the side cover clearly reads.  He laughs.  He thinks, well at least I know she is the same Levy, I feel in love with that is for sure.  He blushes at where his thoughts take him.

       Levy watches Gajeel draw closer to the desk. She sighs as he sets down the book he has with him.  She takes note as the librarian scans his card first, then the book, and hands it back to him. She sees him leave. She wonders were I too hard on him.  She gets a look of annoyance from the librarian. She walks towards her and hands the woman her library card and the book.

      The librarian looks at the card, scans it, and the book. She smiles as she hands both backs to Levy.  She moves onto the next person.  This makes sense as it is her job. 

     Levy leaves the library. She barely exits before she trips and falls.  The item she tries so hard not to lose falls from her hands and onto the sidewalk.  She gasps as someone walks past and thinks the object is in ruins now.  What is she to expect?   Maybe, she should have let someone help her instead of letting her pride get the better of her?   Perhaps, then she would not find herself in such an awkward predicament as this one!   

    Gajeel hears a thud behind him.  He looks back to see the woman of his affections on the ground. He can see she looks hurt. He can tell by the tears that form in her eyes, by the way, she winces in pain as she notices the hugs scratch mark across her arm, and by the way, she flinches at his touch.

  "Levy, please let me  help you!"  Gajeel offers her a hand.

    Levy nods her head.  She takes his assistance. She might as well.  It is not like she has a choice in the matter anyway. She sighs.  She looks at him in confusion, since when did he get her.  She could have sworn he was long gone by now.  

     "Levy, do not worry about the silly book!   I made sure no one steps on it.  See!"  Gajeel says as she shows her the item in his arms without so much as a tare in the cover. 

    "Gajeel, Fancy Seeing You Here?   I mean, I thought you were nowhere in sight."  Levy remarks.

      "Levy, tell me why did you avoid me earlier?  Are you sore at me, shrimp?"  Gajeel says.  He calls her by the nickname she usually dreads.

      "No, yes, Maybe!  I  mean there is one thing I do not understand."  Levy says.

      "Oh, and what might that be shrimp?"  Gajeel says.  He finds it hard to keep his distance from her but does so since he is not sure she wants more than friendship.  (*Author's Note: Yes, they are both dense, or clueless as ever! What do expect from them anyway?)

      "It just that you went on a mission without me.  I mean sure you are friends with Natsu, and Lucy, Happy and the others, but is it true you have a crush on Juvia?"  Levy says.  She looks away.  

       Gajeel chuckles a little.  Then laughs even louder!  "Haha, that is a good one, Levy!  Shrimp, there is no room for someone like her in my life, because I already have you!  I m-mean if y-you want."  Gajeel says.  He suddenly feels shy.  He thinks, great now I gone and blown it!  Why did I have to spoil such a great friendship for anyway?

       Levy looks at him.  Her face immediately turns red.  She can not believe he just said what he just did.   "G-Gajeel, you want me in your life?"  Levy says.

       "Yes, I do!  So, come on we should get a move on if we do not want to miss the discount on the latest mystery series by the famous local writer, Lucy Heartfilia. "  Gajeel says.

    "What?  Lucy has a book series in print?"  Levy says.

     "Yes, I thought with your being her best friend, you knew already!"  Gajeel remarks.

     "No, this is the first I heard about it!" Levy says.

      "Hey, do not be so glume.  I am sure Lucy never meant to forget to tell you.  Perhaps, she was just so full of excitement the thought just went past her mind. "  Gajeel says.

    "Yes, I suppose you are right,"  Levy says.

     "Shrimp, wanna go watch a movie at my place?  I could fix some popcorn, and water to go with it, or you could have a soda if you like."  Gajeel says. He wonders what she thinks in that pretty little head of hers.

     "Sure, Gajeel!  I would really like to join you for your movie."  Levy says. She smiles, as he holds her hand in one of his and the silly books in the other.   She does not try to pull away though.  She just enjoys the moment for what it actually is and why not?   It is not every day she bumps into her crush and he asks her to see a movie with him!   She knows it is at his place, but still, it is bound to be fun, right?

      Gajeel and Levy arrive at his place soon.  The two enter through the front door soon after he opens it.  Levy sits on the sofa.  Gajeel sets the books down on his table.  He washes his hands and gets to work on the popcorn. 

      Levy washes her hands in the half bathroom.  She only knows where is it due to the party she came here for Lisanna once in the past.  She really has no clues where everything might be. She goes back to the couch and sits back down.  She might as well relax for a bit.

      Gajeel sets the popcorn bowl and drinks down on the coffee table.  The drink cups are on coasters so as not to make a smudge mark on the furniture.  He puts a movie into the blue-ray player, turns on the tv, sets it up, and hits the play button.  As the movie starts, he sighs.  He hears Levy sigh too.

    Halfway through the movie, he turns to Levy.  He can not stand the awkwardness between them anymore.  He decides to make a move!  One that might change things for the better!  He leans in without a word, he does not stop to think twice about it, he just kisses her!  He places his lips over her lighter ones and waits to see what happens.

     Levy is taken by surprise!  She kisses him back and thinks, Gajeel!  Oh, Gajeel!  I am so happy you love me!  She does not notice when the movie ends, nor does she care.  She just keeps on with the kisses and he does as well.

    the end...Gale AU  Fancy Seeing You Here?  one-shot by Summer Cheng.

   *Author's Note:  Hope you enjoy this story as much as I did writing it for you!   Do not copy it here or anywhere else.  Thanks!  Happy Reading!  

Published November 2, 2019, and Edits Made November 5, 2020.