Chapter 20 - Distant Flame

I can not STAND this current Wattpad editor/writer. Its such a hassle to deal with. Any time I paste over my story it removes all of the spaces. Other times it adds too many.

Keegan's POV

We came to a stop near a street lamp and bench on the sidewalk. I was already out of breath by the time we got there. I'm going to become a marathon runner if I keep being worked like this.

"Look." Theo said. I looked up at him after catching my breath to see that he was pointing across the street. I turned my sight in that direction to see a line of food shops and bakeries. My eyes lit up at the view.

"Whoa..." I gushed, in awe of the sight."We're going there." Theo announced, pointing at a specific shop. It was an adorable little bakery near the end of all the shops. The light from the street lamp made it look cozy and welcoming. The exterior had two square flower pots containing shrubs placed under the two large windows on the opposite sides of the door. Theo turned to look at me, wearing a smile. I gazed into his charming eyes, trying to take in the moment. This was all new to me. I've never done anything like this, and to be quite honest, its exciting!

Theo held onto my hand a little tighter and guided me across the road. No cars were in sight so it was pretty safe. He released my hand when he went to open the glass door of the bakery. The wonderful smells came pouring out once he had done so. I felt myself growing with anticipation."Come." Theo said, jerking his head to the entrance. I followed close behind as he entered."Welcome. We're about to close soon." We were greeted by a woman who looked to be in her forties or fifties.

"Uh hi. Me and my friend were looking to get a pizza." Theo spoke, walking up to the counter. I mentally cheered hearing him call me a friend. Its been far too long since I've had an actual friend."We're closing soon." The woman repeated, obviously feeling a little bad.

"Oh... Well me and my friend missed dinner, so is there anything we can order?" Theo replied disappointed. The woman frowned a little, giving us a look of pity.

"Peter, would you be a dear and make one more pizza for the day?" She called and spoke to someone who wasn't in sight.

"Alright, give me a moment mom." I'm assuming it was Peter who answered back.

"We'll have your pizza ready momentarily." The woman notified. "You can take a seat over on one of those tables if you want." She informed, pointing to the two tables placed against the windows on separate sides of the shop.

Theo broke a smile and responded to her. "Thank you ma'am." My, he's quite polite. He paid for our pizza and headed to the table on the left side of the bakery. I followed behind him and took the seat across from him. The atmosphere inside the bakery was amazing. The light from the street lamps across the street peeked through the large windows, lighting up the dim shop. It felt like one of those moments where you're in a car and you're driving near one of those orange street lights. The color that shines in the car gives a really unusual yet relaxing feeling. Though I haven't been in a car all that often since being a little kid. I do occasionally have those memories flow back into my mind.

"You look happy." Theo stated holding his head against his hand. My face flushed a little as the embarrassment grew.

"I've... just never been on a place like this. Its really comfortable." I muttered. The woman at the desk somehow still managed to hear me though.

"I'm glad you like it here." She said rather peppy. A smile grew onto both Theo and I's faces.

"Same here." Theo agreed. "I figured I could kill two birds with one stone." He continued. I looked at him curiously. "You said you wanted to see town. You also said you could do with some pizza." He explained. For some reason this made me more embarrassed. I'm really happy that he did all this for me though.

"Thank you, Theo. I appreciate all of this." I said looking up at him with my flustered face. He continued smiling while looking at me. He looked so attractive under this light, I could feel my face heating up like an oven.

"For once you aren't apologizing." He pointed out, sounding a little surprised. I smiled in response. He's right, I guess its becoming easier to except.

"What are your choices on the toppings?" Peter asked from behind the counter.

"What are our options?" Theo replied with a question.

"Pineapple, Anchovies, Pepperoni, Onions, Broccoli, Peppers, Olives and Mushrooms." He listed.

"Anything you want Keeg?" Theo asked.

"Umm..." I started thinking, being taken by the sudden question. "Mind if I try Broccoli, Peppers and Onions?" I asked.

"You sure love your veggies don't you." Theo chuckled. "Alright. We'll have a pizza with onions, peppers, broccoli and drop pineapple on one half." Theo ordered. Pineapple huh, I've never tried that as a topping. Hopefully he lets me have a piece.

We waited for awhile, exchanging a couple words while the pizza cooked. When it was finally ready a young man who I assumed was Peter delivered the pizza to our table. It looked so good. I could feel myself salivating over it. The smell alone was worth the price. I waited for Theo to take a slice before digging into it myself. The way the cheese melted was amazing. Theo took the first bite and moaned a little. I found it a little funny. I bit into my slice and by cows, it was delicious. I munched on the pizza happily while scanning it. It was by far the best one that I'd ever eaten. After finishing two slices I decided to ask Theo if it would be alright for me to try a slice of pineapple.

"Can I try a slice with the pineapple topping?" I asked, pointing at the slice I had my eye on.

"Sure help yourself man." Theo replied while shrugging. My anticipation grew heights as I reached for the slice. I bit into it and to my surprise it passed my expectations. It was my turn to moan. The delicious mix of the cheese, sauce and pineapple meshed perfectly. When I snapped out of my blissful daze I caught Theo's eyes on me. He was staring directly at me with a smile across his face. I looked at him then glanced back and forth curiously.

"What is it?" I questioned locking my gaze on him.

"Nothing. Just that you really seem to be enjoying that pizza." He teased.

"Y-yeah. Its the best I've ever had." I informed feeling slightly embarrassed by my reaction.

"Same. Its really good." Theo agreed. "I'd love to come back here sometime, but our trip is coming to an end."

"That's unfortunate. I'd hoped we hooked in new customers." The woman said with disappoint.

"If I'm ever in town I know my first stop." Theo replied, standing from the table. We still had two more slices left, but I guess neither of us were hungry. Theo had the slices bagged and carried them out the door. He was generous enough to leave them a tip. Their service was amazing so I would've done the same. I waved to the woman and Peter on my way out. The night air kicked in once again as we left the bakery.