Chapter 57 - Obvious Oblivious

Hello again! Alas I have finished the chapter! Thank you for your patients, and I hope you guys enjoy it. I'm sorry if it doesn't live up to the other chapters. I've just been out of the loops for so long.

P.S. I've been nominated for the Wattapader's Choice Awards and would love if you gave me a vote! I put the link in the "external link"... wherever that might be.

Keegan's POV

"So how long is Alayne's suspension?" I remembered to asked on the ride to work.

"Well, since summer break is just about here her suspension will continue a couple months after school begins." Charlie answered.

"That's music to my ears." Theo mumbled blandly. Him and Charlie continued the conversation while my thoughts drifted elsewhere. I was preparing myself for work. What'll happen when I walk through that front door? My hands were beginning to feel clammy.

"We're here." Theo notified, pulling into the driveway of the cozy looking diner. I took a large breath before stepping out of the car.

"You'll be fine." Theo assured, resting a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to him and smiled.

My hand landed on the handle of the door and waited there for a long second. I pushed it open, taking a step inside. The sound of the bell got Sandra's attention. Her eyes lit up when she realized it was me who came in.

"My, It's been so lonely here without ya!" Sandra greeted in her heavy southern accent while taking my hands in hers. A bashful smile captured my appearance, my eyes drifting to the side.

"I'm happy to have ya back." She said releasing her grip and giving me a friendly smile.

"I'm happy to be back. And I'm very sorry for the extended break."

"Where ya been all this time?" She asked the one question I was hoping she wouldn't.

"Umm..." I started awkwardly. I didn't want to tell her about what happened, I myself am trying to leave it in the past. "Well... somethings were going on in my personal life. I... don't really want to talk about it." I explained hesitantly, playing with my fingers out of habit.

"Oh it's alright you don't gotta tell me nothin'!" She ended the conversation with a dismissive wave. I was relieved, though I didn't show it. It seemed like she already had an idea of what was going on, though it could've just been me.

I settled down behind the counter after putting on my little apron. No one was coming in. With all of that free time my mind was going over all of the ways I could ask to leave work early. I really didn't want to upset Sandra, but I didn't want to upset Shaylene either. I mean, she already seems to dislike me as is.

I almost leaped back a foot when Shaine snapped me out of my thoughts as she leaned on the counter.

"You doing okay?" Shaine asked in a dull, yet friendly sort of way. I nodded in response. Her question took me by surprise since it seems like she doesn't care about others much, let alone start a conversation. A sheepish smile crept onto my face when I realized she was stepping out of her shell.