Getting your heart broken (them as your older brothers)

You felt like a fly trapped in amber. With eight older brothers, life wasn't just sheltered, it was a fortress. They were a human wall, each specializing in a different form of protection.

At 17, you craved normalcy. You dreamt of stolen glances in the hallway, whispered secrets with girlfriends, and maybe, just maybe, a boy who didn't require a background check longer than a Tolstoy novel. Then came Liam. New in town, with a lopsided grin and eyes the color of twilight, Liam slipped through the cracks in your brothers' armor. He was artistic, quiet, and completely oblivious to the eight sets of eyes watching his every move.

For weeks, you both met at the town library, hidden amongst the towering shelves. Liam talked about his dreams of becoming a musician, his fingers drumming an imaginary rhythm on the table. You, for the first time, felt truly seen. Then came the school dance. Liam, ever the charmer, snuck a note into your locker, a simple invitation.

"Meet me under the oak tree? 8 PM."

Your heart is hammered. This was your chance, a taste of freedom. But first, the eight-headed hydra of your brothers. The interrogation was relentless.

"Where?"

"Who with?"

"For how long?"

Finally, Chan, the eldest, laid down the law. "Fine. You can go. But Minho, Changbin, and Seungmin are chaperoning... from a safe distance."

The dance was a blur. Liam held your hand, his touch sending shivers down your spine. You talked, you laughed, you danced like nobody was watching (except for eight pairs of binoculars hidden strategically around the gym). When the slow songs started, Liam held you close, your foreheads touching. It was perfect, a stolen moment in a world that felt increasingly suffocating.

Then, the music stopped. The gym lights flickered on, revealing your brothers, arms crossed, a picture of disapproval. Shame burned in your cheeks. Liam, confused, stammered an apology. You choked back tears, the magic of the night shattered.

The walk home was silent. Back in your room, the weight of the situation pressed down on you. You slammed the door, tears spilling freely. A knock on the door. It was Liam. He'd snuck away, a sheepish grin on his face. But before he could speak, a chorus of gruff voices rose from the bushes.

"Wrong move, kid."

All along your brothers knew Liam had a plan. He didn't like you. It was all a game. He was waiting for the right moment to shut everything off. But he didn't know you had eight older brothers. He definitely chose the wrong move. Your brothers weren't going to tell you the truth. They knew it'd break you.

Hyunjin and Seungmin grabbed Liam by his arms and dragged him away. They then push him to the floor. If he was hurt, they didn't care. He was planning on hurting you, their baby sister. They were still glad they caught it quickly.

You shut out the world. Your brothers, worried but clueless, tiptoed around you. Finally, Han, Felix, and Jeongin sat you down.

"Y/n." Felix said gently, "We just want you to be safe."

Tears welled up again. "Safe from what? From living?"

They all sighed. Then Han spoke. "From getting hurt."

You looked at them, your voice thick with frustration. "Maybe I need to learn how to handle getting hurt! Maybe that's part of growing up!"

The silence stretched. Finally, Jeongin nodded. "Maybe you're right."

Things didn't change overnight. But there were shifts. The background checks became less intense, the follow-ups less frequent. You started confiding in your brothers, not about boys, but about your dreams - of going to college, of becoming a writer.

Slowly, the fortress walls began to show cracks, letting in light and the chance for a different kind of freedom, one built on trust and understanding.

Then one day they let the truth slip out. You caught it immediately. At first you didn't want to believe it. You thought Liam was a sweetheart and would never do anything to hurt you or anyone. Not until they showed you video footage of Liam with his friends talking about their plan to break your heart.

You sent your brothers to get revenge on them. What you didn't expect was for them to actually beat them up. But you didn't care. Not anymore. You were glad you had your brothers by your side even if they drove you crazy. A lot.