Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Sarah had absolutely no idea what he was planning, She was still slightly upset about him having her relive the past, but she would keep that to herself. Glancing around, she walked on what appeared to be a veranda that overlooked somewhere in the Gardens she had never seen before, which was odd. Hoggle and the Head House Keeper had give her a fairly good tour of the Castle and the Grounds.

Slowly, she walked up to the railing and looked out over the garden before her. The smell of vanilla and oak leaves drifted towards her. It felt so much more peaceful here than in any of the other ornamental gardens.

"What do you think of my garden, Sarah?"

Sarah turned quickly to face him. The Goblin King stood leaning against one of the post holding up the roof, looking out at the garden.

She knew better than to be cocky. That had caused a few problems the last time she had dealt with him, but this time she could tell the truth, "it's beautiful."

He smiled slightly, "it was my mother's before mine. I do my best to care for it.". He turned to look at her, "no one can follow us here, and you can't run away this time."

How dare he..No she had to remain calm. She did want to ask him questions, and the Cook had given her the rest of the night off. So Sarah stood sliently watching him in the moonlight.

He frowned slightly before moving off the post and holding out his hand, "come. Let us go sit by the fountain. I have a feeling we will be talking for quite a while."

Sarah placed her hand in his. Slowly he closed his hand around hers and lead her down the short staircase down to the ground and out to the fountain. The fountain was not exactly in the center, but it was close. Once they reached the fountain, he released her hand, slowly.

Sarah sat on the edge of the fountain facing him.

He stood looking at the rippling water for a moment. Then he turned to face her, "I've thought over the years what to tell you if I ever saw you again, and now I have idea what to say."

Sarah sat silently watching him. The moonlight caused his jacket to glisten. It looked so much like the one from the Crystal Ball, but it was just slightly less glittery.

Sighing, she sat beside her, "why are you here? I would think after what you went through, that you would never return."

Sarah took a deep breath before she answered. "They turned Toby against me. Then they made an ultimatum. I refused and came here." There was no way she was going to tell him anything.

"I'm sorry to hear that, but where are you living? You have to be close to come to the ball."

"I do, and don't expect me to tell you everything."

He smiled slightly, "I just wish to know you're safe, Sarah. I don't know what you've heard, but you are very important."

"I'm safe. Now can I ask a question?"

"You just did but I have a feeling that you meant another?"

Sarah raised her chin slightly, "what's this rumor about you asking the High King if you could marry me?"

He seemed a bit taken back, "where did you hear that?'' He seemed a bit worried almost like at the end of her run.

"I over heard two Fae women talking about it, and a few of the goblins. Now is it true?"

The Goblin King took a deep breath, "yes."

Sarah nodded, "I get not telling a fifth teen year old me, but why didn't you come and try to tell me any time between then and now?"

"I wasn't sure how you would react.". Sighing, he looked away, "I tried to forget you."

Sarah stood up, "so what is this ball really about? You're planning something, and I have a very good feeling that it has to do with me."

He followed her example, "Sarah, I may not mind you acting like we are equals, but we aren't. I am a king and you are.."

She turned and glared at him, "the Champion of the Labyrinth. What ever that means? I may be here, but that doesn't mean that you can just boss me around."

He looked as if he was about to say something than stopped. Then he glanced away from her, "Sarah, I do not wish to argue, but yes, I had something planned."

"Something with a poisoned peach?"

"You enjoyed the ball, Sarah. Don't doubt it. No I had something bigger planned."

"And what would that be?"

He moved closer to her and took her hand, "I was planning to repair an error I made back then."

Sarah raised an eye brow, "I can think of more than one."

He smiled slight, "there might have been, but I have one that I truly regret." Gently, he pulled her towards him, "remember right before you field from me?"

Her grew wide for a moment as she nodded slightly, "yes."

The Goblin King bent down and kissed the Champion of the Labyrinth.