𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖

꧁🝮꧂

We are bloody fucked. Was all I thought at this moment, as Pope stands beside us, his hands rested on his hips whilst he tried to catch his breath.

What did he mean, 'They know.' The only thing I could think of by that was Topper and Rafe. And bloody hell I did not want to think about Rafe, nor Topper.

Rafe.

"What?" JJ asked, confusion laced his tone. And I turned my head towards him briefly to catch sight of his eyebrows scrunching together.

But then it was as if something flickered inside of his brain. His eyebrows lowered whilst he shook his head. His arms now hanging very loose around my waist.

I turn my head back to Pope, who had a look of both frightened and worried clear on his face.

I sigh lowly, "P, they don't know shit, init? Just calm down." I confirm. Though I wasn't even sure myself.

JJ hummed in agreement.

"Topper knows I sunk his boat." Pope says, his voice full of worry. Whilst I shake my head in denial.

I hear JJ sigh, "How do you know they know?" He asks. Though I knew he was worried too. Fuck, we all had to be.

He can't know, right? There's no way.

Pope turns his back to us for a moment, and I see him raise his arms, whilst he ran his hands over his face before turning back to face us.

"Because Rafe and Topper posted outside of Heywards and mad dogged me." He explains, his breathing was harsh.

He's scared, and worried.

Fuck.

They posted outside? So that had to have been soon after I left the Cameron's.

I look at JJ from the corner of my eye. He shook his head, his blue eyes piercing into Pope. "Will you calm down and get a grip, man? They don't know shit." JJ tried to soothe his worries. But Pope was not listening to us.

I let my arms slowly fall from JJ's neck and in the little space between our body's, whilst I bring my hands together, repeatedly twisting my ring on my thumb.

My eyes follow Pope as he paces back and forth beside us, anxiously. "They have cameras. They could have seen me." He further explained.

Oh god. They could have. It was as if that thought finally clicked inside of my head. I was so glad we could finally get them back I never thought of that. It didn't even quite cross my mind.

I roll my tongue over my teeth.

"There was no power. How could they have seen you?" JJ asked, genuinely confused. I nudge his stomach with my knuckles. My eyes landing on him.

He turns his head my way, his eyes softening on me. "It's figure eight, Jayj. We have generators." I explained softly, my voice oddly calm.

His mouth parted, seeming as if he just realized. I nod. "Shit." He mutters, his voice hardened.

His thumb starts rubbing soft circles on my lower back, soothing me. I let out a soft breath. Whilst both of are heads reluctantly turned to Pope again.

He was still pacing back and forth, gesturing his hands out in front of him. "They don't give scholarships to kids who vengefully sink boats." He tells us, but more to himself. Like an reminder as if.

I shake my head back and forth, repeatedly. Topper deserved this. He deserved more.

JJ slowly takes his arms from around me, the slow motions of his thumb stopping as he gently pulls back from me. As if it was taking everything in him to do so.