Chapter 187: House of Cards

Author's Note:

Want some more military vs fantasy? Check out Manifest Fantasy, my latest and highest quality work!

Read up to three weeks ahead! Chapters up to 190 are now out for corresponding Patreon tiers!

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/drdoritosmd

Discord: https://discord.gg/wr2xexGJaD 

– –

"WHAT?!" Marix yelled, sending a lamp crashing into a wall. The room fell silent as all eyes turned to the Chancellor. Karlmann, seated near the head of the table, kept his face impassive, but he could feel the tension in the air. It was like a ticking time bomb – a fuse about to blow.

Marix paced the room, his face red. "Venstrom... surrendered? Surrendered?! Just like that?"

Karlmann already knew where this was headed. He took a breath before speaking. "Chancellor, the Second Conquest Fleet was outmatched. The Americans--"

"Silence! Americans this, Americans that!" Marix snapped, cutting him off. "Excuses, excuses, EXCUSES! Venstrom had a duty to fight! To die for the Empire if necessary!"

Karlmann bit his tongue. He was getting tired of Marix's disrespect and plain incompetence. To die for the Empire? For what gain? 'Dying for the Empire' entailed some sort of benefit - something to make the sacrifice worth it. What good would it do to send a fleet into the jaws of American missiles? These men are the Empire; without them, Gra Valkan society cannot function. It was clear to him now that Marix either couldn't understand this, or refused to acknowledge this.

Karlmann's mind drifted to the countless families that would have been shattered, the children left fatherless, the workers erased from the economy, had Venstrom followed Marix's twisted logic. The Chancellor spoke of honor and duty, but where was the honor in needless sacrifice? Where was the duty in abandoning one's responsibilities to nation and family?

Karlmann could see the other officers exchanging uneasy glances. General Siegs, across the table, met his gaze, his eyes conveying a silent message: 'Tread carefully.' Karlmann nodded almost imperceptibly. He didn't need to be told twice.

"Chancellor," Karlmann tried again, keeping his tone measured, "Admiral Venstrom made a decision based on the tactical reality. Continuing to fight against such odds would have been a needless waste of lives and resources."

Marix slammed his fist on the table, making everyone jump. "Tactical reality? We are the Gra Valkas Empire! We don't surrender!"

If Karlmann could facepalm – hell, if he could call out Marix for his idiocy right here and now, he would. His illogical words were a testament to his delusion; utterly disgusting. Karlmann could see it reflected in the faces of the other officers - the growing realization that their leader was disconnected from reality, the growing disappointment in the man that they had put their faith in. Marix's rhetoric might appeal to the hardcore nationalists, but here, among the military's top brass, it rang hollow.

Karlmann could feel his own frustration rising. Marix's words were the rallying cries of a demagogue, not the reasoned analysis of a military leader. Did he truly not understand the gravity of the situation? Or did he simply not care, as long as he could maintain his grip on power?

"Chancellor, we need to assess our position objectively," Karlmann said, trying a different approach. "Losing the Second Conquest Fleet significantly alters the strategic balance. We need to adapt our plans accordingly."

Marix waved a hand dismissively. "Our plan is to crush the enemy. To show them the might of the Gra Valkas Empire."

"And how do you propose we do that, Chancellor?" The question came from Admiral Tauris, his voice tight with controlled anger. "With what ships? What men? Venstrom's fleet represented a significant portion of our naval strength. We can't simply wish new ships into existence!"