Story 39--Cherry Picking

Guide:

(Y/N): Your Name

(F/C): Favourite Colour

"Good morning!" you called at the entrance to the Lucky Cat Café. It was a beautiful Saturday morning, with the sun shining from its place in the light blue sky. For you, it was a perfect day for you and the Hamadas to go out picking cherries in the orchard just a few miles away. Despite the distance, it has been a tradition for you and the Hamada family to go out every year picking cherries and eventually selling off some of the best cherry pies in San Fransokyo.

Aunt Cass ran down to greet you with a wide smile and a floppy hat on her head. "Hey (Y/N)! You ready for a fun cherry picking time?"

You giggled as you straightened Aunt Cass's hat on her head. "Absolutely!"

"Hiro!" Tadashi cried from afar, as both brothers showed up now in the main café. "Give back my hat!"

The younger Hamada brother stuck his tongue out teasingly and waved the hat in the air. "Not a chance, Tadashi!" Then he caught sight of you as he turned his head around, and his eyes went wild as he stumbled over something on the floor--probably a basket--and fell over on the floor, losing grip of Tadashi's favourite baseball cap.

"Ha!" Tadashi shouted in triumph, catching his hat in his fist and almost toppling over Hiro at the same time, but managing to keep his balance as he started to do a short victory dance in the middle of the Café. "Got it! Got it!"

You laughed now as you held a hand out to Hiro, who was still sprawled on the floor. "Come on, Hiro. You don't want to keep us all waiting for this now, don't you?"

Gratitude entered Hiro's eyes as he took your hand, and you pulled him up. For a moment, you felt a temporary rush of adrenaline shoot through your arm as you helped him get back up, but then that moment ended when Hiro let go of your hand.

"Thanks, (Y/N)," he smiled, dusting himself off and taking a good look at you. "Wow, you look good."

The heat on your face just bloomed without a second warning, and you prayed your face didn't just turn red. All you were wearing today was a (F/C) sun dress, your hair tied in two braids down the sides, and a pair of simple (black/white) flats--a typical summer look for you since who-knows-when. But seeing Hiro checking you out made you feel a bit self-conscious. "You sure, Hiro?"

"I never lie, (Y/N)," Hiro smirked, approaching you just slightly and brushing some hair off your face.

"HOW CUTE!" Aunt Cass gushed loudly now, and Tadashi laughed along with her as you both turned to them now with indignant looks on your faces.

"We're NOT--" you started, but then gave up on arguing back as your heart pounded harder than usual. You and Hiro had been the best of friends since you were young, but lately whenever you have been hanging out, you found that you have been shying away more often than you wished. Blushed whenever he did a kind gesture, like buy you something as simple as an ice cream cone. Stepped away whenever he approached you. Prayed he wouldn't do anything too complicated that would ruin your relationship. What was going on? You felt a tugging sensation in your gut almost immediately, but at the moment you chose to ignore it.

"Yeah, sure, look at the both of you!" Tadashi snorted in laughter. "Red as cherries!"

Hiro shook his head. "Come on, Tadashi. Must be a trick of the mind."

"No, really!"

"BOYS, IF YOU TWO ARE DONE FIGHTING OVER THERE, YOU CAN AT LEAST HELP ME PACK UP!"