Story 69--Summer School

Take this story as a gift from me, because I know I haven't updated this in FOREVER. 

Yes, you're welcome.

This would be short.

"This. Sucks," you whimpered as you entered your classroom, your feet slowly dragging on the floor as you made your way to a random seat. A beautiful sunny day beckoned to you as you looked out the window, making you sigh. How much you wished you could still go outside and hang out the way you used to...but unfortunately, you were forced to take summer school this year, due to your program layout and requirements. 

Yes, even a student at SFIT has to take summer courses at some point in time, and right now you were going through this predicament. What sucked was, none of your friends were taking summer school. In fact, they were done come the end of April, and with four months of break ahead of them...

"Excuse me, is this seat taken?"

You glanced up to see a boy around your age show up beside you--a boy with messy black hair wearing a blue hoodie. 

"Hmm? Oh, uh...not really, no," you said, gesturing to the seat beside you. 

The boy smiled as he took his seat beside you. "Seems like we both landed ourselves here."

"I know. To think that I still have to take calculus during the summer..." You groaned again as you face planted on the table. "Math sucks."

"Nah, not all math sucks," the boy chuckled. 

"Yeah, says you," you muttered.

"Hey, I wouldn't be so sure that your statement is valid," the boy joked. "After all, the course barely started!"

"Well...that's true," you eventually said. "But I'm not good at math in general."

"Don't say that. You're a smart one," the boy assured you. "Heck, I'm pretty sure we both landed in SFIT at a young age knowing that we could handle anything any older student could, right? You got this."

Somehow, his words of encouragement moved you to the point where you removed your head from the desk, glancing up at him and smiling at him. Perhaps he was right. Maybe math wouldn't be so bad at all.

"I'm (Y/N), by the way," you introduced yourself.

The boy smiled as he held his hand out. "Hiro Hamada."

"Pleasure to meet you," you said, shaking his hand. "Wait--you're the young robotics student here, right? I've heard about you before."

Hiro chuckled. "Yeah, I am. You're the young kinesiology student here?"

You nodded. "Yeah, I find the subject fascinating."

"Well, I'm glad I'm not the only prodigy. I thought I'd really be the only one," Hiro said with a nervous laugh. 

Before you could reply, the teacher appeared with several pieces of paper in her hand, and the lecture began, giving you both no room to talk further. But in your heart you found that you agreed with him. It had been hard on you, being a student at a university while you were still a teen. Meeting Hiro, though, relieved you of some of that worry. Maybe there were perks about being a prodigy; you never know if you could meet another one with as much talent as you do.

As the summer slowly passed, you found that you enjoyed talking with Hiro more and more. In fact, he had become one of your best friends. It was typical for the both of you to help each other out whenever you both found that you were stumbling, or there were grey areas in understanding the whole idea of derivatives and how they worked. But soon, it went beyond simple tutoring. It turned out that Hiro also had a big group of friends who he hangs out with a lot of the time, and occasionally you would join them too, on weekends when you were both free. 

Though you still had other courses to attend to and take, calculus had somehow remained your favourite in the entire term. Was it because of the way you and Hiro  worked on questions together that turned your interest around? It could have been. It must have been. Every moment when you felt like you were stuck, Hiro was always there to encourage you. Come to think of it, there wasn't a time when you felt that such encouragement could really help you move forward at all. And soon, you found that your marks in Calculus have soared higher than before...though in the end, it all came down to your final exam.

And on the day before the final, you found yourself studying with Hiro in his bedroom in the Lucky Cat Cafe, your favourite study spot, immersing yourself in problems and concepts. 

"I can't believe after this exam, we'd be free," Hiro whispered.

You hummed in response. After all, you just finished your chemistry exam earlier that day, so you couldn't agree with him more. You just wanted exams over with.

"Yeah," you said...hollowly. 

It was hard to admit that after this was all over, you might not be able to see Hiro again. What would happen when that happens?

"(Y/N)? You alright?"

"No," you shrugged. "I...I'm terrified. About this final, and...about us."

"Us?"

"It's a silly subject," you admitted with a shaky laugh. "I...I mean, I...I was wondering...after this is all over, what would happen?"

"Hey. Just because we study totally different things doesn't mean we can't remain friends. I mean, sure, life throws a few curveballs, but in the end we all find a way back together," Hiro said. "You being here this term really had been the highlight of my entire summer, I'll say that."

"Me too," you whispered, a hint of a smile finally returning to your face. "You've done so much to help me, and...this summer has been such a blast with you."

Hiro smiled as he sat beside you, wrapping an arm around you before looking at what you're studying. "Principles of square roots? Blegh!"

"I know," you laughed. "Now let's just get this exam over with."

"Deal."

It only felt like minutes, but hours later you had to go. Before you did, though, you approached Hiro and gave him a firm hug. This surprised Hiro somewhat--after all, neither of you had ever thought about being this close--but eventually he returned the gesture.

"Thanks for making this summer the best in my life, in school and out of it too," you whispered.

Hiro smiled back, pulling you close. "You're welcome, (Y/N)."

And that was when you knew that you and Hiro, no matter where you went in life, would always remain the best of friends.

So what do you think? I know, more of a friendly one than a romantic one but I'm not really into the romantic side of things as of late...

Anyway, let me know how this is! I better run to my next class, so see ya!

-magic_mockingjay