Chapter 22

Chapter 22

My mother turned towards me, her once soft eyes, red as the fire that spit up from Hell's rivers. "Charity, you have to save him." She pleaded; her voice no longer held the strength it once had before. The authority she had lashed out on me not long ago was pure helplessness.

"Save him how?" I asked her.

"Protect him. Don't let Lucifer get his hands on him again." She pleaded and reached out for my hand. The last time she had told me to 'protect' someone-Phil-Timothy ended up nearly dead. I who would be next of I tried to save Timothy--Melinda?

"I can't protect him, I'm just a human and the devil is a supernatural being--he has dark powers." I explained to my mother, how could she think I have the power to go against the devil? How could she think that I would try to raise up against him without have a solid type of protection? I'm not sure if she heard, but the devil never ceased to express how much he wanted to kill me. If I went against what makes her think he won't rip my throat open with his razor-sharp teeth.

"You are stronger than you think, Charity." She gripped my hand in hers, and beamed. The first smile I'd seen her pull for the longest. Her tear-stained face seemed to illuminate her face and features. "After all you are your father's daughter." With that last lightening statement my mother turned away from and faded into thin air.

'After all you are your father's daughter'. Maybe that statement would mean something to me if I knew what the hell she was talking about and if I knew my father. To me my father is an unknown figure, when I think of him all I see is a man's body and a blurry face. Nothing more. I don't get why my mother won't grasp the fact that my 'father' is nothing but a donor to my life. But I had no time to argue about that, I have a "mission" to complete, protect Timothy.

I sighed, protect Timothy. How the heck was I supposed to do that? I had no powers against the supernatural being I was to protect him from.

"Hey," Xavier's' voice called out, and jerked me back into the realm of reality. So caught up in my thoughts and my own world, I hadn't even noticed I was back in our room. My gaze glided over to Xavier. "Can you help me with him?" He grunted and jerked Timothy's still body lightly. I nodded soundlessly and rushed to Timothy's aid.

After helping Xavier place Timothy on the sofa I turned to him. "What happened to him?" I asked innocently.

Xavier chuckled and shook head, "Are you really going to ask that?"

"Well, I want to know..."

"Like you don't already know." Xavier scoffed once again, and pushed a pillow underneath Timothy's head. Turning away from me, Xavier pulled out a cloth from his pocket and slowly began to wipe the dried blood from the corners of Timothy's mouth.

"How'd you--"

"I could sense you there." Xavier quickly interrupted, but never turned to face me. With his back hunched over Xavier continued to work on Timothy, dabbing the white cloth on Timothy's swollen cracked lips.

My brow dipped and my left leg took a backward step. "You could sense me?" I wondered aloud.

"Yeah." Xavier huffed and discarded the cloth to the floor. "I don't know why-or how, even-but I could hear you, I could sense this change in atmosphere when you are around."

"Feeling like what?" I questioned further.

Turning to me Xavier replied tersely, "Good."