Chapter 8 (part 2)

Recap: "Make sure she get enough beauty sleep. We don't like ugly people in Hell." He ordered over his shoulder to Melinda, before leaving.

                                                                         CHAPTER 8

                    "That asshole!" I seethed. I stormed over to the fireplace and flopped down in the chair. Looking up at Melinda I asked, "How can you put up with him?"

                      "I do not, Misses. He ignores demons like us. The upperclass are fallen angels. The even classier ones are fallen archangels. Any trapped soul or human is treated as dirt." She replied quietly and walked over to golden lined cream shelf. I watched for a while as her hands moved skillfully, rearranging the tea cups' like she's done it for years.

                            " You are a trapped soul, Melinda?"

                          Her process suddenly froze; her fingers grazed the lips of the cup, but didn't move. Hurt, regret, and grief flashed across her face. "Yes, ma'am. I am." Her voice trembled, just like her pale hands.

                               "How?" I pressed.

                               "I sold my soul so that my husband would come back alive from the war."

                            I raised an eyebrow. "Husband? How old are you?"

                            "Technically... I'm one hundered twelve. My birthday is in a month. But I was eighteen when I married my husband." She must have seen my astonished expression because she continued, "I was born in year 1899. It was expected to married at age in the year 1917"

                            "Your husband was coming back--I'm guessing--from World War II?"

                         She nodded, and her lips caved into her mouth.The glass quickly cover over her sad eyes. "The Americans had just came in. The Germans were losing...I was afraid he was going to die. His best friend, Losy, had already died." Melinda removed her hands away from the shelf and placed herself in the seat across from me. She folded her hands in her lap, but didn't meet my eyes.

                        "I was so overcome with grief; I ate nothing for 2 months. One day a very handsome man came to my house, and told me he would grant me a wish in return of my soul..."--the devil--"And I agreed. He said he'd keep Luca alive as long as he could. If he did and he came back home to me, we'd two years to say our good-byes. I agreed--only because I loved Luca.

                            But he lied. The next day I received a letter saying Luca had died. Before I could even put down the letter, my body was dragged to Hell."

                               My mouth dropped into my lap. "Do you know where Luca is now?"

                             "No," Melinda choked. I stood up out my seat and moved over to Melinda, wrapping my arms around her shoulders. Her entire story made me want to break off the deal. I wouldn't have cared as much if it was my soul, but I'm playing charades with Rita and Phil's lives. This wasn't a joke anymore.What if he was lying? What if he killed Phil and Rita right after I marry Asmodues?

                            A lump formed in my throat, and I looked down at Melinda. "Do you think he would lie to me?"

                         "I do not know, Misses. It is a high chance he will not. You posses more power than any demon has combined with him. You are his prized possession. I don't think he will do anything to anger you."

                            But he already has... I thought. But kept my mouth shut.

                        "All I know is that recidivist demons are not to be trusted. As well as the demonic ones--the ones that have lost hope." Melinda informed me and wiped away her tears. After a while of sitting still she turned to me. "Misses, please don't talk back to the demons. They are dangerous."

                                "I won't swear on anything...but I'll try."

                             "Thank you, Misses." Melinda got up and straightened her dress. "Would you like anything to drink, while a run your bath?"

                                "Oh, no thanks I'm fine. I can 'run' my own bath. Thanks anyways." I shook my head and got off the chair arm.

                                      "Would you like to sleep then, Misses?"

                                   "Yeah. Do you have anything I can change into?" Melinda rose her eyebrows, and let out a little laugh.

                                          "Your mansion closet is filled with those."

                                "Oh, right." I blushed and walked over to the gigantic-waste-of-space closet. I finally found a black spaghetti strap silk night gown and slipped it on.

                                  "Good night, Melinda!" I called over my shoulder, and rushed into my bed; suddenly craving my soft bed. I slipped underneath the chillingly welcoming sheets and buried my face into fluffy cloud, underneath my head and sighed. It's been such a long day.

************************************************************************************************************

So this is the end of Chapter 8. I hope you enjoyed! Does anyone miss Wren? I do?! And the dedication is to one of my BFF's RAYRAY!

LUV YA, GURL! :)

P.S. Listen to the to music in chapter 8! I LOVE you Pierce the veil, Mayday Parade, For all those sleeping, and Upon this Dawning! Does any of my fans love them?