Chapter 12 (revised)

Chapter 12

               I shifted uncomfortably on a soft pillow of fluff and dragged my sweaty hand across my face.

              With a heavy groan rumbling in the my chest, I pulled my body up and thanked those above that I woke up in the royal room I was given. I sighed and flopped back onto the bed.

               I'm the beginning and the end.

               I'm Eden.

            What the heck did that mean? Who tells a child that and then disappears without explaining? Why did she even bother to see me anyway?

           Every time I've ever seen my mother, which has only been twice so far, she's confused me. Her actions, thoughts, and her way of communication. She's done so many things that make my anger flare in my body when ever I think of her.

         I groaned and flopped over onto my stomach. All she's ever done was turn my thoughts into scramble eggs. This entire Hell things has scrambled my brain.

I thought I knew who I was.

           But I don't.

          I know nothing about myself. All this time I've been a phony named Charity Smalls. My parents are some how connected to Hell, I was abandoned by everyone I loved. No, Charity Clove was. I was just her understudy. I wasn't real. All my life was built on lies.

           Chairty Clove was nowhere in the picture...until now at least. I had to know who she was. What she was. Why is she so important to everyone involved in Hell.

            Breathing heavily and rolled off the bed and made my way lifelessly out into the living room.

           "How was your sleep, misses?" Melinda rushed over to me and held out a cup of tea.

              I reached for it and placed it on my lips. I sipped the hot liquid and relaxed as it slipped down my dry throat. "Thanks." I smiled at Melinda and flopped onto the chair beside me.

            "Misses, you look as though you have not slept in days...is something wrong?" She poured more of the brown tea into another cup and handed it to me.

            "Oh, I've slept," I muttered and drank down both of the cups. I wish I hadn't though, if I hadn't slept my mother would never came to me and worsened the situation, that was already sinful circumstance I was blindly shoved into.

           "But you skin looks washed out, misses. Please tell me if you are sick, Madame. I will tell the Master if--"

              "No!" I quickly rushed up to her and stopped her from running to door. "Nothing is wrong, Melinda. I'm not sick. I just had a bad dream."

              Melinda tentatively searched my eyes for brief moment before nodding. I released my breathe I had been holding and Melinda began to pack the tea pot and tea cups back onto the silver tray.

             "Do you know anyone by the name of Jeremiah Clove?" I asked suddenly and watched as Melinda stopped rearranging the tea set and halted. Her shoulder tightened and her body began to quiver.

                I shot up from my seat and walked over to her. "Melinda?" I stepped beside and placed my hands over her. "What's wrong?"

                "Nothing, Misses, I'm sorry. The masters made it a rule that his name not be spoken in Hades."