Chapter 24

Chapter 24

            The confidence and pure dogmatism in Malachi's voice shook me to the core. A ghostly feeling saturated the musty air around us. A uncomfortable silence filled the room, even the wailing inmates had quieted.

I shifted my gaze from Malachi’s pressing stare and looked to the corner covered in dry straw. My words, voice, and breathe stuck in my throat has the realization began to descend upon me. He was expecting something. Malachi along with everyone in this prison and in Hell were expecting me to do what I was made to do. They were expecting me to destroy the devil and lead Jesus’ army of angels against the forces of evil.

But I am not ready for that. Hell, I don’t want to do it! Jesus started his religious journey official at the rip age of thirty. I was only eighteen! I’m not ready or prepared for this type of calling. The entire world’s fate and life being rammed on my shoulders was too much of a heavy burden. I don’t have the mind-set—the capability—of leading an entire army of angels against the devil. I couldn’t even stand up to him for the sake of my mother, let alone the entire world.

I love GOD to the fullest, he will always be my light, but this job he gave me to do—I can’t fulfill it. I’m not worthy or strong enough to do it. He must’ve given it to the wrong person. Malachi probably mistook me for another Charity.

My top teeth involuntarily reached down and worried my bottom lip, as I took in the room for the twentieth time. My eyes touch the corner of every rock, stone, and metal but I made sure they never reached the inquiring gazes of Xavier or Malachi. How could this be? How was I supposed to the Malachi I can’t do it? His face was filled with such hope and happiness, it would be a pity to see it all cleaved off his face.

Finally I took my first step to letting down everyone, and looked to the cold-faced boy in the corner. To my surprise another emotion besides anger masked Xavier’s face.

 Concern.

Concern over what? He didn’t have to worry I wasn’t going to destroy his father or his precious man-eating dogs.

Turning to Malachi my heart dropped. Oh no! I clamped my eyes shut quickly and my fingers began to twitch. I hated letting down people. I had already let down my mother and Phil. I let the devil kill them. I let my hot-headedness get in the way of my heart and I hurt them. Could I really let do Malachi?  Slowly opening my eyes the emotion that was on his face the moment he saw my hand, still remained on his face.

Instead of my voice being her, Xavier’s pierced through the silent air. “What the hell does this have to do with me sensing her?”

Malachi’s gave finally—and thankfully—left mine and I slouched to the floor. Dios! Looked to Xavier Malachi frowned. “I do not know—”

“Then why did you waste my time being down here!” Xavier yelled and pushed himself off the wall and stormed over to Malachi.

“I do not know exactly.” Malachi finished and Xavier halted his steps. “But…” His gaze shifted to me once again, and my body stiffened. “Do you realize that your life stories are almost identical?”

 “What?” I squeaked, not quite finding my voice yet.

“Uh-hm…. Charity you mother was a human—so was Xavier’s. Your fathers supernatural beings.”—What?—“Your mother’s both di—”

“Mention my mother Malachi and I will kill you with your own wing bones.” Xavier threatened and tightened his jaw.

For once in this entire meeting Malachi’s face shined with compassion and understanding for Xavier. “So be it.” He muttered. “But then again…that statement may contradict itself. You see you,” Malachi motioned a hand towards me, “are the direct force of light, and he,” He pointed to Xavier, “is the direct force of darkness. Xavier is meant to fight with his father, you are meant to lead with our Father. I guess the opposites push away creating some sort of awareness in the other that can be felt.”