Chapter 3

Chapter 3

              I woke up without the sun sticking it's arm in my window and slapping me in the face. A dark and thick fog cloaked the house. I climbed out of bed and walked into the bathroom. After showering and putting on my robe I skipped downstairs. I turned into the kitchen. My mother looked up from the stove and smiled. Her eyes weren't puffy and red like before. Any sign of crying was no were evident in her choclate colored face.

            "Good morning, Honey." She chirped and flipped the eggs.

            "Morning, mommy." I sat at the island. "Where's Rufus?" I asked just noticing my dog was missing. I looked down on the floor. No sign of my fat pup.

            "Your father took him to Ms. Kinders." She said slowly.

            "Why?" I asked as she placed the plate of bacon and eggs in front of me. I stripped the bacon and shoved it in my greedy mouth.

            "We are going out today."

            "Without me?"

            "We'll be back around 5. You can spend three hours alone, right?"

            "Oh," I smiled at her. "You're going to get me my old day present." I nodded to myself.

            My mother laughed and shook her head. I reached up grabbed the ketchup and squirted it on my eggs. "Thanks for reminding me, I forgot."

            I laughed mockingly. "Funny, mom." She smiled faintly and turned away from me. "Mom," I said my voice shaking a bit. "Are you okay?" Worry hinting my voice.

            She turned to me and smiled encouragingly. "Yeah, I'm fine."

            "Are you sure?" I raised my eyebrow at her.

            She nodded. "Of course, why would you ask?"

           I shrugged. "I don't know you seem so...distant." I looked down at my eggs, the suddenly looked disgusting. I heard the front door creak open and my father stomped down the foyer.

               He smiled as I caught his stare. "Good morning, sweetie." He leaned down and kissed the top of my auburn hair.

             "Good morning, dad." I smiled and snatched up a piece of my bacon as my dad stole the other one. I playfully glared at him as he shoved my poor bacon in his choppers. "That was mine."

                "Can't you cut your old man some slack?"

             "Fine. But only this time, the next time..." I took his bacon from his plate and pretended to slice my neck. My father chuckled and shook his head. He walked over to mom and kissed both of her cheeks.

              "You know, Charity; I don't think you should be threatening the old folks. Since one day from now, you'll be one of us." He grinned and shoved another bacon is his mouth. He sat beside me and stared at mom.

              "I'm not that old dad." I interjected. My mother and father laughed.

             Just then a loud buzzing sound erupted through the house. My mother jumped from her seat and rushed down the foyer. "Maybe that's my batter order!" She yelled.

             Dad chuckled, "Her and that order." He muttered and resumed eating his eggs. Three minutes passed and mom still wasn't back in the kitchen. My father got up and dumped his plate into the sink and peeked into the foyer. "I wonder who that is?"