PRELUDE

WARNING!!!: This is just the first draft of the story! __________________________________________________________________________

April 10, 1993

The snow softly fell down upon the streets of South Portland, Maine. Everything stood peacefully still. The birds where gone, long away from America to the warmer south. The other animals already fast asleep. A woman trudged through the thick snow with her baby cradled in her arms. The icy wind nipped at her nose and fingers; it sunk deep in her boots and clothing chilling her toes and bone. She shivered, silently wishing her husband would come and wrap his arms around her. But she knew it was wishful thinking, he was liked the birds--long gone. With a new sense of loneliness washing over her she continued down the dark abandoned street.

"I see you." A soft and velvety voice whispered. The woman looked up and held her breathe.

"I know who you are." It continued to chant out loud.

"You're his!" It laughed hoarsely, as though twenty-thousand people were mocking her.

She quickened her pace as the voice was joined with others harshly haunting her. She quickly looked behind her; the street was as soundless as I was before. The only sound came from the hum of the street lamp.

"You're his! His bitch!" They laughed continuously.

The woman turned back around, from the back street, and her heart leaped out her throat.

A figure stood before her. He seemed to glow underneath the street light. The woman squinted her eyes, but the bright street light made it hard to see his face. He shoved his hand in his black trench coat and stood there. The frightened woman stared at him, not sure if he would hurt her if she moved. He looked up at her devilishly through his thick eyelashes. The woman took in a shaky breathe and gripped her sleeping baby closer to her chest. The man stepped forward, and she swiveled around and sprinted into a run. But before she could make it an inch away, the man stood before her again. She looked behind her where his figure had originally stood lifelessly. How did he move that quickly? She closed her eyes and knew right away this man was targeting her.

"I SEE YOU! YOU'RE HIS!" The voices' hoarse chants soon turned into blistering screams. "WE SEE YOU! YOU CAN'T HIDE!" They mocked more. "You're his!"

The dark man extended his long legs and walked over to the woman in her early twenties. Her grey eyes took in his dark black eyes, floppy jet black hair and fine detailed feature. He was handsome--almost too-good-to-be-real handsome. The snow instantly melted underneath his feet. The snow vanished above his head; it was like an invisible force field was centered only on him. He flicked off her hood with a signal movement and sent alarm through her body and eyes. The man slowly ran his long fingers along a curl of her dark hair, a massive surge of heat scorched into her scalp. She winced and he frowned.