Chapter 5

A dim bright red light surrounded me. I squinted my eyes and groaned. My eyes snapped closed for a second before slightly opening again. The red light still covered my entire perspective field. I rolled over on my belly and buried my face in a very soft pillow, that smelled of lilacs. Since when did my pillow smelled like lilacs?

         Why did the bed, suddenly feel softer. Was this even my bed? Did I pull a cliché a go home with someone? I wondered. No I couldn't have, I'm pretty sure everyone secretly knew I was underage at the club. Plus, I'm pretty sure I remember walking out of the club. 

         I huffed out a sighed and buried my face further into the pillow. Why was I so hot? Why did it smell like burnt coal? Maybe I'm home. Did Phil forget the food on the stove again?

         I shot up out my bed with alarm. I swung my feet over the bed and my feet instantly meet a white marbled floor. This is not my room.What the hell? 

         So I did pull a cliché.  My eyes glanced over at the light blue and gold drapes hanging from the windows and above my bed. A picture of a man with a white wig on his head stared at me, as I examined more of strange room.

         I looked up at the crystal chandelier hanging just 4 feet above the bed. 

        Why was I in such a plush room? My breathing turned ragged as my widened browns scanned the room, frantically. My hands flew to my stomach, then my chest, then my hair.

         Am I in the right body? Did I switch lives with someone? Or was this just a silly dream of mine. There is no way I could've pulled a cliché, I'm the most boring and cowardice person in the world.  I gripped the tapestry detail light blue sheets of my body and wiggled my toes. These were my toes, my hands, my legs...everything was in check. I was in my body. Thank God! But why was I here?

         And where exactly is here?

        I swung my legs off the extremely high mattress and slapped my toes against the shiny marble floor.  "Where the heck am I?" I asked to myself, just then I heard footsteps rushing in to me.

        "What is wrong, madame?"

        I turned around quickly and stared wide-eyed at a girl who looked around my age. Her green eyes stared at me with fear and worry. I took a step back slowly. "Who are you?" My voice came out in a hoarse tone. 

        She smiled warmly, relaxing a bit, and placing the platter on the table. She took two steps extended her long right leg behind her left, in a curtsy. "I am Melinda, madame."

       I watched her with curious eyes as she began to stand. "Do you know why I'm here? And where is here?"

        Melinda chuckled and took the silver platter back into her hands. "Would you like some tea, madame?"

           "No thanks, and I would really appreciate me if you stop calling me 'madame' my name is--"

          "I know who you are, Misses." She handed me the China cup filled  with a dark liquid. "It is green tea. It will soothe your nerves."

          "Um, Melinda...where am I?"

        "Mr. Brand brought you these." She picked up a blue shimmery dress from the chair beside her and picked up some black 3 in heel shoes. "He request you wear them tonight."

       "Tonight?" I placed the tea cup, back on the table, to nauseous to drink anything. "What is tonight?"

        "The ball in honour of your arrival."