Chapter 11

Chapter 11

                 Why is my room so dark?

                  I wrinkled my nose and sat up on my bed. I reached for the comforter, but notice nothing was there. Panic shot through me, this isn't my room. It was....nothing. I placed my palms on the floor and pushed myself up. I glanced around the tenebrous space.

              "Hello?" I called into the darkness. A stiff silence fell over the place. "Hello?" I called again. A shrill screamed echoed throughout the ill-lighted valley.

                  It penetrated fear and panic through my bones. "Is anyone there?"

                A giggle bounced off the walls and attacked my ear drums. I shivered and hugged myself tightly.

"Follow me." A hoarse voice whispered.

                  "Hello? Who are you?" I asked the darkness.

                 Giggles of a little girl erupted from the walls again. I twirled around violently. I snapped my eye shut a sent a silent wish to the heavens: that the noise would go away and that I would get out of this scary space. After two minutes of silence I opened my eyes slowly and the wind stuck in my throat. My trembling hands flew to my chest and mouth.

                 I stared at a little girl who looked around the age of five. Her hair was midnight brown, her eyes cat like brown. She lifted her right hand and waved, but a smile never met her lips.

                 "Who are you?" I asked again.

                  "My name is Charity Clove. I'm five years old." She answered and stepped closer to me.

                  I took a step back cautiously. She cocked her head to the left, casuing her russet hair shifting to one side. "What the heck is going on?" I muttered and side glanced the strange little girl in front of me trying claim my identity.

              She frowned and reached for her hair. "Our hair was originally supposed to be brown. Like our mommy's. But he changed it."

               "He?" I wondered out loud. The little girl nodded and bent her finger beckoning me to follow her. She twirled around her pink skirt following with her movement with a swoosh and skipped down the black path.

                  I released myself from trance I was in and quickly followed her down the pathway. As I got deeper into the nothingness, my eye caught something. A shine of light, white light. I quickly went into a sprint to catch up with the "younger me".

                  "Charity?" I called. But no one answered. Where could she have gone so fast? I slowed my past, as the panic in my chest began to soar to the outer galaxies. What if this was all a joke? This was an illusion. A mind trick being played on me.

                 "Why are you so slow?" A tiny voice asked, behind me. I spun around and glared at the little girl.

                      "Where did you go?"

                    "I can't go past here but your suppose to go down there." She pointed to the white light. "That's where we open up. Our history." She explained. Without hearing my response she turned around and began to skip back into the darkness.

                "Wait!" I yelled after her. But she didn't stop. Her movement were slow. Her arms seemed like they were moving in slow motion as the moved back and forth.