Chapter 20: Unexpected Attack

IMPORTANT: Please read the A/N at the end of the chapter. It will explain some stuff.

Percy’s POV

We sat there for what felt like hours but had probably only been forty-five minutes. I had started pacing around the common room after the first fifteen minutes and you could almost taste the tension in the air; everybody was too busy worrying. Clarisse, on the other hand, didn’t even look bothered as she drew out her sword and began practicing slowly. It looked like she was trying to maim thin air.

“Are you not even the slightest worried about them?” Annabeth finally asked her, annoyed.

“No,” she snapped back. “They know how to take care of themselves. Sure, the worse they could do is get caught but Umbridge has no right to expel them right?”

“With whatever new law she has or is about to release soon enough, she’ll find a way,” I rolled my eyes.

“This is killing me. Why aren’t they back yet?” Nico muttered, his expression dark as he stared out the window.

“You won’t be able to see them no matter how much you stare if they’re under the Invisibility Cloak, genius,” Clarisse shot at him irately.

“Oh shut up,” Nico threw back at her.

“You want to go, punk?” she snarled at him and having had enough, I decided to intervene.

“Gods, what is wrong with you guys?” I demanded.

“This isn’t any of your business, Jackson,” Clarisse turned onto me furiously.

I felt my temper rising and struggled to keep a hold on it. “What is wrong with you tonight? Seriously?” Not exactly the smartest thing to say while she had a sword already in her hand while mine was still in my pocket but I didn’t care at that moment.

She was about to reply heatedly when the portrait swung open. There were sounds of people clambering in before the cloak was whipped off to reveal the three weary-looking but happy Gryffindors.

“Hey guys!” Ron called out cheerfully before detecting the tension in the air. His smile faded. “Uh … are we interrupting something? What’s going on?”

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Clarisse relaxing and her sword arm falling back to her side. Despite what she had said about not worrying just now, I guess she was just as concerned as the rest of us. She just didn’t show it out and got edgy when questions were raised. Wow, Clarisse was actually human for a moment. It didn’t last long though.

“About time you got back,” she muttered irately before stomping over to an armchair and seating herself down on it. The trio shot me questioning looks.

“It’s nothing,” I shrugged. “How was the meeting with Hagrid, the person we never got to meet?”

Hermione’s face turned red as Ron and Harry suddenly looked interested in the furniture decorating the common room. “Yeah, about that … we’re sorry we forgot about you and left you waiting in the cold,” she rushed the words out.

All of us sniggered, the fight before already forgotten. “We have his class on Tuesday, don’t we?” I asked and they nodded. “We can meet him then.”

“Ugh, Hagrid,” Hermione groaned, shaking her head at the mention of class.

I turned to look at Harry and Ron questioningly. Hermione, however, beat them in answering. “His classes aren’t exactly what you call … safe. Interesting maybe, but most of the time you have a risk of getting injured,” she answered, squeezing her eyes shut in exasperation.