Chapter 9: St. Mungo's

Annabeth's POV

I stared down at Percy's sleeping face. He had been asleep for three days straight and was yet to show any signs of waking up. I sighed, rubbing my eyes. Molly had tried to force me back to the Sirius' house but I refused to leave Percy's side. Although everyone, even Clarisse, had tried to convince me, I wouldn't listen. They can't make me leave him, not in his condition.

"Hey," A voice behind me said gently, startling me.

I turned around to see Thalia standing there, gazing down at Percy.

"Hey," I replied softly, turning back to Percy. I felt her place a hand on my shoulder, patting me comfortingly as she sat down beside me. "Where's Harry? Or the rest?"

"Harry's at the hearing, remember? It's today and everybody else's at home. They wanted to come but Arthur decided to allow only one to accompany you today and I decided that it was me," Thalia grinned, her eyes gleaming.

I gave out a short humourless laugh. Thalia sighed and loked over at me with a worried frown creasing her forehead. "Annabeth," She said my name softly. "The term at Hogwarts is about to start soon and if Percy hasn't awoken by then, we'll have to leave without him first. You know that, don't you? Annabeth." She persisted, shaking my arm.

"I can't just leave him, Thalia. I can't abandon him, not now." I told her, my voice breaking but with a determined tone.

"He'll wake. I'm sure he will but if he were here right now, what do you think he would want you to do? Waiting for him or going off to finish what we started in the first place? You know what he'll say Annabeth," Thalia reminded me gently, sighing once again when I refused to look at her.

I knew. Of course I knew. But I couldn't stand the thought of him waking up without me by his side. If he ever woke up .. No, he will wake up. I'm sure of it. As for Hogwarts .. Thalia was right, Percy would've wanted me to go. I knew what he would said. I could actually imagine what he would say if he were awake right now.

He would rolled his eyes at my worried frown and wrap an arm around my shoulders to kiss me on my cheek. Then he would insist I go to Hogwarts and he would catch up to me, despite all my protests. In the end, I would listen to him and a smile would appear on his face as he gave me a hug. Yup, that sounds just about right.

There must've been a dissatisfied look on my face because Thalia grinned and hugged me. "I knew you would give in, because that was what Percy would've wanted. I'm gonna go get a soda, I'll see you later." She gave me a cheery wave before walking off.

I watched her go, rolling my eyes. She was a good friend, no matter what her appearance said. Suddenly a thought struck me. Something Rachel had said. She had told us that the cold voice had warned her. 'Do not continue with this quest of you shall suffer my wrath. Your camp will be destroyed and one of your friends might just destroy all of you. Heed my warning." He mentioned a friend destroying all of us. Did he meant .. Percy? Was that why Percy had attacked Harry? Was it all because of this mysterious voice?

I groaned. All this was giving me a headache and I normally don't get headaches that easily. Feeling the sudden urgent need to stretch my legs, I reluctantly got up from Percy's side and wandered around, looking at my surroundings and trying to find Thalia. Healers were briskly walking from all directions, hurrying to their patients.

I looked around with interest. The wizarding world was an fascinating place and a part of me wished I were born a wizard too. It would be amazing to be able use magic, I thought wistfully as a patient levitated past me.

Just then, I bumped into someone. Looking up, a round-faced boy was stumbling backwards, but with an apologic expression. "Sorry about that. Are you alright?" He mumbled, helping me up.

I'm fine, thanks." I smiled at him. He returned the smile but it was troubled and a hint of depression. "What's wrong?" I asked in concern.

He took a deep shuddering breath and forced a smile on his face. "Family matters. It's complicated."

I nodded. I totally understood. I got along better with my family nowadays but there used to be so much fighting before the Titan War. It was painful. "I know how you feel. Who're you visiting anyways? Sick relative?" I asked, nodding at the room which he emerged from.

I knew immediately it was the wrong question to ask. His face twisted with grief as his lip quivered. I placed a hand on his shoulder in concern. "You don't have to tell me if it's something private. I'm sorry for intruding on your personal matter." I told him softly.

"It's fine," He smiled weakly. "Those are my parents in there. They were amazing Aurors but they were tortured until they lost their minds."

I stared at him, shocked. I wasn't expecting this. Who would've been so cruel and heartless to do this to a person, not to mention someone who has a family? I wondered, gently patting his back just as an elderly lady exited the room.

"Neville! Come say goodbye to your parents. We'll be leaving soon." The eldery lady in green robes barked at him with a stern voice, looking suspiciously at me. I nodded at her, smiling pleasantly although she was full-on glaring now.

"Coming Gran!" Neville called before turning back to me. "Well, I have to go. I'll see you sometime," He smiled at me and hurried off to the room. I decided to go back to Percy's room. Thalia will probably meet me there.

On the way back, I thought of what Neville had told me. His parents had been driven mad by unfeeling animals and he still had the courage to live life normally. I, on the other hand, had broken down and refused to do anything when my boyfriend had been hurt. I cared about Percy, of course I do, but why was I unable to even focus on the quest? At that very moment, I made my decision. I would continue on with this quest for Percy's sake and I would finish it with the same determination we started with. And when Percy wakes up (hopefully soon), we'll face this together like we always did.

As expected, Thalia was waiting for me. She gave me an encouraging smile as I told her of my decision. Entering the room, I kissed Percy goodbye before leaving to fulfil what I had started. And to finish it with a bang.