Chapter 22: Separation

Percy’s POV

"He's not answering me," Mrs Weasley sounded troubled as she came back down the stairs into the kitchen.

"'Course he isn't, he must be terrified and confused after what Moody said," Annabeth said under her breath as she began eating her lunch.

"It's not healthy for him to continue hiding up there," I frowned, taking a bite of mashed potatoes. "He can't stay up there forever. I mean, he has to come down someday doesn't he?"

'I don't believe he's possessed. He's just too stubborn to actually check it for himself," Ginny huffed next to me.

"How do you know?" Nico eyed her.

"I was possessed once, you know. But I suppose he was too busy freaking out to remember that," she replied matter-of-factly.

"Good point."

As they continued discussing about Harry, my mind wandered back to Thalia. To say I was anxious was an understatement; I was frantic and worried to death. I was absolutely certain that Thalia knew how to take care of herself, but this was Voldemort we were talking about here. If he had gotten his hands on her, I was afraid that he would torture her, and eventually kill her. I couldn't allow that to happen; she was my friend. It could even be just the normal monsters but I doubted that Thalia couldn't handle them.

I hadn't told the others yet about what we had learnt and I wouldn't until I was absolutely sure that she was in trouble. I'd feel rather stupid if I called out an alarm now and it turns out that she was taking her time to return to camp, as impossible as that sounds. Annabeth was reluctant, but she promised to keep it a secret as well. We agreed to find out more first before informing anyone.

Just at that moment, Annabeth caught my eye and nodded at me, jerking her head towards the pantry. I nodded my head very slightly and watched her get up discreetly before hurrying out of the room. I waited a few minutes to avoid suspicion before following her out. Nobody noticed us leave because they were all too engrossed in their own conversations.

When I entered the pantry, Annabeth had already gotten a connection between us and the Hunters going. Phoebe, who was in charge while Thalia was away, eyed me coolly as I appeared in her sight.

"You're sure that Thalia never came back? Did you contact her at all since we left on the quest?" Annabeth was asking her.

"Of course I'm sure," she retorted. "Many times to report our condition and anything that had happened. The last time I talked to her, she was in some kind of forest and she told me that she was coming back."

I shared a glance with Annabeth. That was the last time we had seen her too.

"Has she really gone missing?" Phoebe's voice was indifferent but there was a hint of worry in her tone.

"We're not sure, but we're assuming so," I replied tightly.

"Then the Hunters will look for her too. We'll set out tonight and we'll keep in contact with you," Her tone was final as she stood up taller. There was no way I could convince her otherwise.

"Alright, but be careful," I warned her.

She gave me a calculating look. "You too," she said finally before cutting off the connection.

Without another word, Annabeth started up another spray of water from the sink and threw in an offering to Iris. Now it was time for our conference with Professor McGonagall.

Her startled face appeared as the connection strengthened.

"Mr. Jackson, Ms. Chase, what in Merlin's beard is going on here?" she asked, sounding a little bewildered. I guess they didn't have Iris-messaging in their world.