Chapter 17: Sudden Ambush & New Understanding

Percy's POV

"Percy, are you okay?" Annabeth's worried voice broke into my thoughts, interrupting my mental replay of my nightmare.

"What? Oh yeah, I am, thanks." I muttered back and noticed Grover exchanging a look of concern with her before turning back to their books.

We were studying in the library to allow the trio to look up some stuff for Potions class. Weeks had passed since the last incident and Nico had been released from the hospital, a little shaken but otherwise fine. Harry had gotten into a huge fight with Hermione and Ron over an idea they had brought up. It had been awkward to say the least and no mention had been made about it again. That is, until Hermione spoke up.

"I was wondering," she said suddenly, looking a bit scared, "whether you'd thought any more about Defence Against the Dark Arts, Harry."

"Course I have," Harry replied sullenly, "can't forget it, can we, with that hag teaching us -"

"I meant the idea Ron and I had -" She immediately frowned and changed her words when Ron shot her a panicked and threatening kind of look. "- Oh, all right, the idea I had, then - about you teaching us."

Immediately, all our heads snapped up. Without hesitation, all the demigods began to gather their stuff and slowly tried to escape without being obvious. As I pretended to stand up to look at some books, Ron shot me an amused look, also looking regretful that he couldn't join me.

Harry didn't seem to reply as I edge away and I was thankful for that. At least I wouldn't be around if he did get mad later on. I walked slowly over to one of the shelves and pretended to examine the book titles but once again, my mind went over to all the nightmares I had been having lately.

Thankfully, not all of them had someone innocent being killed, though they were wounded. That was what scared me; that the monsters had gotten so strong no one could travel much anymore, in fear of getting attacked. It was worse than last time because at least then, we had hopes of surviving since they could be killed.

I rested my head against one of the shelves, using my hand to support my weight. It was stressing me out but part of me wanted to go back to camp. I had learnt a lot about wizards already. They could do some really crazy things and I learnt about everything from Flobberworms to Blast-Ended Skrewts and Dementors that could suck out your soul. It was a horrifying thought but it seemed that now the only thing to do was to figure out how the wizards could destroy the monsters.

As soon as that thought struck me, an idea slowly began to form in my mind. We were here to find out how we could help the wizards and vice versa. What better way to find out than to have an actual duel with a real monster and enemy? Course, it was extremely dangerous but I was willing to be the bait for everything if it meant that nobody else would get hurt.

"Don't get that look, punk. Every single time that happens, you're about to suggest something crazy and spend hours convincing us to go along with it, which we will because there's apparently 'no other option than that'." A voice grumbled next to me, making me jump.

I spun around to see Clarisse standing there, leaning against one of the bookshelves, staring at me with a scowl on her face.

"What look? I don't have a look." I said innocently, although my mind was still somewhere else, trying to think a way to attract a Death Eater.

"Just spit it out so we don't have to waste so much time with your cheap acting," She growled.

I mulled over the idea of telling her for a moment. Without a doubt, I knew Clarisse would agree to the idea since she was absolutely itching for a fight to happen and that would give me a huge advantage since Annabeth was really starting to listen to her more than she actually does to me at the moment. Without another moment's hesitation, I told her my idea.