Chapter 27: The Ministry of Magic

Percy’s POV

I blinked, trying to make sense of my surroundings. The last thing I remembered was being in London, so why in the world was I in the Big House? I glanced around, trying to make sense of everything. The whole room was bronze shielded, there was a record-player and a full-screen video on the wall and a computer and a boom box in the corner of the room. With a jolt, I realised that I was in Chiron’s office.

“I saw them coming, Chiron,” A familiar voice said tensely from behind me.

I whirled around. Rachel and Chiron were standing at his desk, both looking grave and alert. Neither one of them seemed to have noticed me though.

“Hey guys!” I shouted, lifting my hand.

Immediately, I stumbled backwards, spluttering at what I saw. My hand was transparent. When I looked down, I realised that it was the same for the rest of my body. “Holy Poseidon …” I breathed, examining it.

“I know, Rachel. It seems that we’ll have to fight,” Chiron sighed, bringing my attention back to the two.

“There’s still no sign of Percy, Annabeth and Clarisse either,” Rachel murmured. “This is the worst timing ever.”

“I know,” Chiron nodded, glancing out of the window. Demigods were running around, shouting and laughing happily and there was a pang of longing in my heart when I saw that. Gods, I missed camp. “Do you know when they’ll be here?” he asked Rachel, turning his head back to face her.

Her expression tightened as she nodded. “In a few hours. Maybe by tomorrow morning,” she answered stiffly.

“Good. We’ll have just enough time to warn and prepare everybody for it,” Chiron said. His face darkened. “It’s a good thing I know a thing or two about wizards.”

I choked on my saliva when I realised what Chiron was saying. Wizards were attacking the camp in a few hours. How in the name of Poseidon did they even know where camp was? Would they even be able to get pass the camp’s boundaries? Judging by Chiron’s words it seemed like they could.

But the most important question was: how were the demigods going to protect themselves from magic?

The question seemed to be in Rachel’s mind as well for she asked softly, “Chiron, how are we going to defend ourselves? None of us know what we’re up against.”

“I know,” he replied grimly. “But Celestial Gold can hold up against magic. We’ll just have to hope for the best.”

I could’ve sworn that he was looking straight at me as he said that but before I could make sure, the dream changed.

I was now in a dimly lit room with rows and rows of shelves which held what looked like glass orbs. Feeling curious, I stepped closer to one of the shelves, my hand reaching out to grab one when voices from a distance drifted to my ears. Distracted, I turned towards that direction and cautiously moved forward. Although I was certain that this was still a dream, I wasn’t certain whether they knew I was there or not.

“Take it for me … lift it down, now … I cannot touch it … but you can …” A high, cold voice echoed around the cathedral-sized room that I was in. Hearing that voice made chills run up my spine and goose bumps to erupt all over my arm.

I stepped closer towards the source of the noise and the scene that unveiled before me was terrifying. There was a shape of the floor; a black shape moving on the floor like a wounded animal. Towering above him, clothed in black robes, was a sort of … creature. It was tall and skeletally thin. His face was extremely pale, with dark scarlet slits for eyes and he didn’t seem to have a proper nose, for it was flat and only had small incisions as nostrils.