Chapter 30: The Ending of the Quest

Percy’s POV

“Percy.”

I groaned. I was feeling really comfortable and I really didn’t want to wake up. “Five more minutes,” I murmured sleepily.

“Stupid seaweed,” I heard the voice muttered irritable before something came crashing down on my head.

“Ow!” I swore, my eyes flying open.

I blinked. What was I doing back in my cabin at Camp Half-Blood?

Rachel’s face suddenly appeared right in front of mine. I crawled backwards on my bed in shock before stopping. “Whas going on?” My words rushed out in a stream of inaudible words but somehow Rachel managed to catch them.

“You have to get back here as soon as possible. They’re almost here and we can’t keep them back forever, especially since we’ve never fought them before,” she replied edgily, her eyes constantly darting to the door leading out of the cabin.

I cursed. “How long and how many?” I demanded. “What about the barrier?”

“They’ll be here in five. There are about only three to five of them I’m guessing. We’re not entirely sure the barrier could hold them back so we’re not going to be relying on that. I don’t know where you are right now but get here quickly.”

The vision started to fade as she got up. Before she left, she looked back at me once more. “Hurry.” Her tone was serious; and then she was gone.

“Percy!”

I shot up, gasping, nearly hitting Annabeth, whose head had been hovering over me.

“Percy, you’re awake, thank gods,” she breathed, relieved.

I looked around the room. We were back in the Atrium that had been deserted before, except now it was full of people. The fireplaces were flickering with green flames, wizards were conferencing in loud urgent tones and the beautiful fountain was now in ruins. All my friends were gathered around Annabeth and me, looking sombre. Neville and Luna were there as well. Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were missing.

I felt a terrible feeling in my stomach. Something was wrong.

“What happened?” I demanded, looking straight at my girlfriend.

Tears began to gather in her eyes. “Sirius is dead,” she blurted out.

I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach.

“What?” I choked out. No. It couldn’t be.

“Bellatrix killed him. She hit him with some kind of spell and he fell into the veil,” Neville spoke up. His voice was quiet.

“And Harry?” I was almost afraid of the answer; I knew how close he had been to Sirius and how much he had loved him. “Ron, Hermione, Ginny?”

“He ran after her,” This time, it was Grover. “Dumbledore had captured the rest of the Death Eaters but Bellatrix escaped. He fought her in the Atrium” – that explained the destroyed fountain – “and then Voldemort arrived.”

No way. That was – no way.

“Dumbledore fought him off, apparently,” he continued. “And Voldemort left with Bellatrix, but not before Fudge and the Aurors arrived. They saw him. That’s all we know. Dumbledore sent Harry back to Hogwarts around five minutes ago with a Portkey. Ron, Hermione and Ginny were sent to get treated. Luna woke up not long ago so she stayed here with us and they fixed up Neville’s nose. Did a rather rough job but I guess they’re leaving the rest up to Madam Pomfrey. The Order took James with them. I'm not sure what they're going to do with him though. I think somebody else was suppose to bring us back and –“