Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Hailey 

Never did I expect a wolf to pop out and chase us at the dance. Never did I expect Chase to shift into a giant black wolf right in front of me to fight this wolf. Never did I expect this wolf to ignore Chase and tackle me. Never did I expect to use the switchblade I kept in my clutch for emergencies. Never, never, never. For the first time in a very, very long time, I was taken by surprise. And I hated it. 

I stood in front of Chase, keeping up the charade of fear while holding the bloody switchblade in my hand. He stood in front of me, completely naked. And all I can say is damn. No wonder these werewolves are so strong, with muscles and bodies like those

Let's just say, he was very ripped. And his little guy down there, wasn't so little. But that's sexual and weird and definitely not the important thing right now. 

Suddenly, he looked down and seemed as though he was embarrassed at his nudity. He rummaged through the teacher's desk drawers where he miraculously found a pair of shorts and pulled them on. The teacher must be a werewolf too

He still hadn't said anything, and I knew that I had to execute my acting perfectly, or else it was good bye life and hello hell. And yes, I was pretty certain I'm going to hell. 

"H-Hailey," he started, but I interrupted him. 

"What the hell are you?" 

Chase looked down before looking back up, a distressed look on his face. It looked as though he were in pain. And speaking of pain, I only now realized how much my arms and wrists hurt thanks to that asshole surprise wolf. He stepped towards me, "Are you okay?" 

Holding up the bloodied, obviously silver knife, I let my voice waiver to help the act, "Stay away from me and answer my question! What are you?" 

He swore, "What do you think I am Hailey? I'm a werewolf, you happy?! I'm a f*cking guy that can turn into a wolf and guess what? So is everyone else that goes to this damn school, save a handful of people." 

I did my best to have a shocked expression on my face and shook my head, "No, no werewolves are not real. You're insane or-or I'm insane or something!" 

"No, no, no," Chase urged, "You're not crazy. Look at me, hey, look at me, I know this is all terrifying and unreal but listen to me, you're not crazy, and I know that you'll be able to look past this. Maybe not right away, but some day. I'd prefer it to be sooner, but I know I can't rush your understanding of what I am." 

Sitting down in a chair, I clutched the switchblade as tightly as I could in my hand, my knuckled turning white. Chase looked down at it, a confused and curious look on his face, "Hailey where did you get that?" 

"It was in my clutch," I mumbled, staring at the floor to make it seem as though I was thinking, processing the information. 

"Why would you have a switchblade in your clutch when you're going to a school dance, Hailey?" He questioned, coming up closer to me. My grip on the handle tightened. It was now or never to see if I really was a good actress or not. 

Looking up into his eyes, I tried to let him see vulnerability as I willed tears to pool in my eyes, "My uncle always make me take it with me in case someone tries to hurt or mug me... I never thought it'd be a wolf I'd have to use it against." 

"Werewolf," Chase corrected and I nodded. 

It seemed like he believed me. 

Suddenly Lily and Luke ran into the room, eyes widening at the sight in front of them and Rebekah and Josh soon followed suit right behind them. Lily looked at me with pity, "Hailey--" 

"Are you one of them, too?" I cut her off, "Are you a werewolf?" 

She took in a deep breath before nodding. I let out a shaky one. I'm either the world's best actress, or they're all extremely gullible. Who knows? Maybe it's a little bit of both mixed together. 

"All of you," I said it as a statement, not a question, but still they all nodded. I let out a bitter laugh, allowing a few tears to spill, "Some friends you are." 

Chase sucked in a breath as he saw the hatred in my eyes. I was actually grateful for a reveal like this. At least now I wouldn't have to work so hard on pretending to like them. I could openly show that I hated them, didn't trust them and wanted to stay away from them. It was perfectly easy for me now, and it looked as though everything would finally go my way. 

"Hailey," he started, "listen to me. I know it might seem like we're monsters, but we're really not. That guy over there that attacked us, he's a monster. A rogue is what we call them-- a wolf that doesn't belong to a pack. I'm not a monster, Hailey. We're not monsters here." 

Shaking my head, I dropped the switchblade on the desk and looked up at Chase, "I told you both of my parents were dead." 

"Yeah," He nodded, though gave a confused look, probably wondering why I was bringing this up right now. 

"Do you know how they died?" I asked, though it was more of a rhetorical question. Obviously he didn't know the answer. He shook his head and I nodded, real tears of sadness fell down my cheeks, "I do. I know how they died, because I was there, hiding and crying. They were murdered, surrounded by a whole bunch of really big wolves. Werewolves, probably. And only now do I know what actually killed my parents." 

He knelt down right in front of me, "I'm so sorry, Hailey." 

"I would've preferred to have thought they were just really big, really hungry wolves," I told him, and it was probably the first thing I'd said throughout the night that wasn't really a lie. Sometimes I wished I'd never learned about werewolves. Sadly, though, I did. I learned a lot. Especially how to kill them; I'm particularly good at that. 

When no one said anything, I looked up into Chase's eyes, "I want to go home." 

"Okay, come on, I'll take you," He stood up and held out his hand. 

I shook my head, "No, I'll walk." 

Chase growled and I jumped. Regret flashed across his face, "I'm sorry, it's just, I can't let you walk. It's dangerous. There could be more rogues out there, more of him. Please just let me take you home." 

Once again shaking my head, I refused. 

"I'll take her," Rebekah offered and I glanced over. I'd definitely prefer going home with her than Mr. Half Naked Alpha over here. 

Sighing, I nodded, "Fine." 

Picking up my knife and clutch, I followed her out to the car, letting her drive me home in a rather uncomfortable silence. When we got to the little yellow house, I didn't say anything, just silently climbed out and walked into the house without looking back. Locking the door behind me, I made my way into the kitchen to grab the first aid kit from under the sink when David stopped me, "What the hell happened to you?" 

"A shit-load of shit," I responded and grabbed the kit, "now shut up and stitch up this cut." 

~

a/n: well, here's this. two updates within 24 hours. if it's your birthday, then happy birthday i guess!! who saw this coming with her parents??? I did! ;) lol it's 4:30 AM rn so if this chapter sucks, then you now know why. until next time!!