Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Hailey

It was quiet as we worked side-by-side, me browning the meat and Chase stirring the sauce. Occasionally we bumped into each other, but we just continued working through it, not really acknowledging it. It was nice and peaceful, even. 

Of course, something had to ruin our peace and that something happened to be the shrill ringing of a cell phone.

Jumping, I sighed before setting down my spoon and digging my phone out from my back pocket, answering it without looking at the caller ID, "Hello?"

"Hailey, where the hell are you?"

I mentally groaned and threw my head back, ignoring Chase's quizzical expression and instead kept my cool, responding, "Why does it matter, Joel?"

"Because no one has seen you since yesterday and there have been some... interesting developments," He said, choosing his words carefully at the end. I furrowed my brow. What on Earth was he talking about?

"What interesting developments?" I questioned, using his exact words.

He sighed and his voice lowered, as though he didn't want anyone to overhear him as he spoke, "They're calling everyone in. Even the boss is coming."

I stilled in shock. No one  is one-hundred percent sure that he even exists, yet he is supposedly due to make an appearance here. Finally, I managed to choke out a response, "The boss?"

Joel responded impatiently, "Yes, now tell me where you are!"

"I left," I lied quickly, "needed some space."

"How far are you?" He asked.

"Not too far, a motel a couple hours out. I'll leave now," I responded, the falsities slipping through my mouth with ease. He seemed to believe me without a second thought, though, and agreed before hanging up the phone. Sighing, I slipped the phone back into my pocket and looked up at Chase, who looked like he was trying not to look guilty but looked even more guilty in doing so. "You listened in, didn't you?"

He nodded, "So, uh, the boss? He's coming. I thought you said he was a myth of sorts."

"Up until now he was," I answered, looking down trying to get my head to wrap around it.

"That guy," Chase started, "he said that they're calling everyone in. How many is everyone, exactly?"

Looking up at him, his face fell as I gave him a pained expression, "At least 200."

"Fuck," he swore, spinning on his heel and throwing the wooden spoon that was in his hand across the room, lodging it in the wall, sticking out horizontally. He dragged a hand down his face, his brows creased with worry. Edging towards him, I wrapped my arms around him and laid my head on his chest in an attempt to calm him down. At first he remained still under my touch, until eventually he relaxed slightly and pulled me impossibly closer as he bear-hugged me. 

I whispered softly, "It's gonna be okay."

At that, he pulled back slightly, gripping my arms and looking down at me, "How is this going to be okay, Hailey? How?"

"Because I know you," I answered, reaching up and resting my hand gently on his cheek, "And you don't go down without a fight, Chase Morgan. You will kick and punch and scratch your way through the thickest battle and emerge unscathed. Besides, you have the upper hand and a secret weapon all in one."

"And what is that?" he questioned.

"Me," I responded, before pushing up on my toes and pressing my lips to his. He responded immediately, grabbing my hips roughly and placing my ass firmly on the counter. I wrapped my legs around his torso tightly, allowing my hands to roam freely through his luscious curls.

His hands traveled all over my body, eventually settling under my butt as he lifted me up off the counter, spinning and pinning me up against the wall, the kiss growing rougher and more raw by the second. It was all consuming and in that moment nothing else mattered. Just his lips on mine, moving in a synchronized frenzy, as though we both had everything left to lose and yet  everything to gain.

He pulled back to catch a breath and we were both panting, his forehead resting against mine, "You're absolutely right, Hailey. You are a weapon. You bring me to my goddamn knees."

I laughed lightly, but he cut me off by pressing his lips against mine, prying mine apart and letting his tongue slowly explore my own mouth, dancing with my own tongue as he pushed me against the wall even more. It probably hurt, but I was too busy to notice. He distanced himself from my lips, peppering light feathery kisses across my jaw and down my neck, earning a slight moan from me that I couldn't stop before it escaped my lips. 

He stayed there for a while, hovering before kissing it again and I moaned once more, this time a little louder. Chase looked back to me, "That's the spot. The one where I'll mark you someday."

"Not today?" I questioned. He let go of my hips, letting me slide down slowly until I was standing in front of him.

Pulling me in, he placed a kiss on my forehead, "No, not today. Not yet. But someday, and hopefully someday soon."

"Okay," I agreed, leaning into him again.

All I wanted to do was stay like this, safe and warm in his arms, happiness dancing through my veins and pumping through my entire body. But of course, I had to get back to the yellow house, which was sure to be completely filled with hunters now, awaiting the arrival of everyone else as well as the guest of honor; the boss.

Letting out a sigh, I pulled back, "I should probably go. I need to figure this mess out."

He nodded, but didn't make a move to let me out of his embrace. Chuckling, I looked up, "In order for me to leave, you're going to have to let me go."

"I don't want to let go," He stated and pulled me in even tighter.

Looking up at him, I smiled, "Don't worry. I'll come back. I promise."

With that, he reluctantly let me go, the look of uncertainty evident on his face. I walked out the door without looking back because I knew that, if I did turn around, I never would have left his side.

~

a/n: Hey guys. So, today there was a shooting at the Ohio State University and as someone who lives only an hour or so away and wants to go to that school, my love, thoughts and prayers go out to all who were affected by this tragedy.

Much love. Stay safe out there.