Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Hailey

Chase was everywhere. He invaded my thoughts and my dreams. The haunting image of his heartbroken face was in front of me every time I closed my eyes, every time I blinked. It was driving me crazy. Especially after this morning, when he had been watching Joel and I sparring. We had a somewhat civilized conversation, at least until he just turned and walked away without another word. 

I thought about what I said; not wanting to hurt any more of his pack. It was true, I had lost all motivation to hunt anymore. At least, not here. Not his people. 

People. They were people, after all. Just like me, like Joel and David. They were humans partially, the only difference being they could turn into a large, vicious, man-eating werewolf. Or, they could turn into generally harmless werewolves who only want to protect each other. Despite my training, I felt as though the latter was the truth. 

The doorbell rang and I shook myself out of my thoughts, pulling myself off from the couch and to the front door pulling it open, revealing a group of five men, all with large duffel bags slung on their shoulder. I drew my eyebrows together in confusion, "Can I help you?" 

"Hailey Argent?" The man in the front asked. I nodded me head and I smiled, holding out his hand which I shook skeptically, "My name is Curtis Lee. This is Brandon, Will, Dennis and Matt. We're here as back up." 

"Back up for what?" I questioned, leaning against the door frame, keeping it as closed as possible. The vibe they gave off made me not want to trust them at all. 

Curtis continued to smile, although I could tell it was incredibly fake, "The Boss sent us to help you, David and Joel finish the mission here. Since your covers were blown, we are bringing in a team to wrap up the job. Can't leave any witnesses, you know that." 

"I wasn't aware we needed any... assistance," I chose my words carefully as I gritted out the sentence through my teeth. 

Finally, his smile dropped, "Clearly you weren't aware of a lot if you managed to blow your cover." 

Scowling, I retorted, "Clearly you aren't aware of what I'm capable of." 

"I know exactly what you're capable of," He snapped. "And I know you won't be able to take the five of us all at once." 

My eye twitched in irritation, but I stayed strong, "I'm sure I could." 

"Would you like to test out that theory?" Curtis challenged, raising an eyebrow as he looked down at me. The five of them were all fairly massive, although their size could easily be turned into a weakness if I used my speed and agility. The four men in the back looked rather uncomfortable with their leader's words and I knew they were hesitant to fight a teenage girl. I mentally added that to their weaknesses list. 

Suddenly, Joel appeared behind me and pulled the door open, "I'm sure she would love to, but unfortunately for her, you guys will be coming inside now." 

He shoved me out of the way, allowing Curtis, Brandon, Will, Dennis and Matt to come inside, Curtis glaring at me as he did so. I returned a glower of my own gladly. Bastard. 

Turning to Joel, I hissed, "What the hell?" 

"I could say the same to you, trying to deny the back up I called for!" He whisper yelled. 

Leaning back, I scoffed, "You called for back up?" 

Joel nodded, "Yeah, we need to get this job done. And I won't let you stop us from doing that. More hunters will be coming in throughout the next few days. Try not to pick any more fights with mean much larger than you. They won't be afraid to pummel you to a pulp." 

"I'd like to see them try," I growl before storming upstairs and slamming my door and locking it behind me. Pacing around my room, I ran a hand through my hair, "Shit, shit, shit!" 

The Boss really wants this pack dead. And I couldn't let that happen. I couldn't watch as the people I've begun to care about, werewolf or not, are murdered mercilessly by my fellow hunters. But then, I couldn't betray the vow I took when I began hunting, to honor my brothers of the hunt. Swearing, I flopped down on my bed, staring at the ceiling fan as I spun in a slow circle, spinning, spinning, spinning... 

Pulling myself up, I slipped on some shoes before pulling my window open, crawling back onto the roof. My hiding spot. The sun was getting low now, starting to set, leaving the sky pink and purple in color, with some streaks of orange painting the picture. Looking down, I let out a deep breath at the drop. 

Scooting to the edge, I quickly spun myself around and grabbed onto the edge with my hands, decreasing the distance of the drop if only a little bit. Counting to three, I gave myself a split second of courage and let go, dropping to the ground. I bent my knees on impact, but my feet still stung at the impact as my feet hit the mulch. Staying low, I crept past the window so as no one inside would see me. Making my way to the street, I froze as I saw headlights heading towards me. 

"Shit!" I exclaimed, before dropping down, and crouching behind a bush. The car pulled into the driveway and David stepped out, carrying a bag of takeout inside, not even sparing a glance in my direction. When he entered the house, I let out a breath of relief and took off sprinting down the street, slowing to a fast jog as I made my way to my destination. 

I never realized how far away it was before, mostly because I've only been there when I was driving. Running up to the door, I was panting and out of breath but that didn't faze me as I pounded on the door incessantly until it opened, revealing the exact person I wanted to see. 

His eyebrows furrowed together, "Hailey? What happened? What's wrong?" 

"More hunters," I managed to say in between breaths. "They're bringing in more hunters to completely wipe you guys out." 

Chase looked down, processing the information before looking back up at me, "I think you should come inside." 

Nodding, I followed him inside, a sudden nervousness building up inside my stomach. What the hell was I thinking? 

~

a/n: Whoop there it is! So, what do you think will happen with the new hunters in/coming to town? Lol i was pretty excited to write this chapter so I wrote it really fast, excuse any mistakes :) 

QOTC: Do you guys like Joel?