Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Chase

"Hello, earth to Chase?" Luke snapped in front of my face, bringing me out of my trance.

I cleared my threat, "Oh, sorry, uh could you possibly repeat what you were saying?"

He threw me a look of dismay before diving into his speech again, "It's not that I don't trust Hailey, Chase, because I know she's your mate and you two are madly in love but-- how do we know she's telling the truth? What if she's luring all of us into a trap and we all end up dead?"

Shaking my head, I clapped my hand on his shoulder, "She's not like that, man."

"Yeah, and you didn't think she was like Artemis either," he shot back.

I rolled my eyes, "You just don't like her because she took your masculinity away. She beat you and your guys so bad, and now you're pissed because she made you look weak. You lost your masculinity and you don't know how to get it back, so you're being extra cautious around her in case it happens again."

He scoffed, "I- No-- that's-- shut up."

Laughing, I clapped a hand on his shoulder, "Listen, Luke. Hailey is my mate. She is amazing. And she was Artemis. But she's on our side now and you need to accept it as well as her help. We won't get anywhere with everyone going against her."

"We wouldn't be in this mess if it wasn't for her, either," he retorted, scowling. "She's nothing but a heartless, cold, blood-thirsty bitch."

A low growl erupted from my chest and my grip on his shoulder tightened, bringing him down to his knees in front of me, "Don't you ever talk about my mate that way. Do you hear me? She is your soon-to-be Luna for fuck's sake, show some goddamn respect!"

My claws were elongated at this point, digging into his flesh and I could see the pain in his eyes, though his face remained composed and stoic.

Letting go of him, I turned on my heel and stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind me.

I need to go for a run.

Leaping forward, I shifted in midair and took off, sprinting on all fours as the wind rippled through my fur. It was cloudy for once, light rain drilling from the sky like a leaky faucet. It wasn't enough to soak me, but just enough for me to noice it's presence and be slightly agitated by it.

Of course, the rain isn't the only thing pissing me off right now.

Why can't Luke just fucking get over himself and deal with it? Hailey's my mate, I love her and she's here to stay. She's changed her ways, I know it.

My sense of smell guided me through the forest until I ended up off territory, several miles out in no-man's land. There was nothing but tall redwoods to be seen for acres; that is, if you didn't look closely. Weaving through the lanky trunks of the trees, I made my way through the thickest of foliage, a few thorns embedding themselves in my side, before coming up to a small clearing with a little brown log cabin sitting quaintly in the middle of it.

I stood there for a while, admiring it.

Smoke puffed out of the small and crooked chimney near the back and the whole area smelled like chocolate chip cookies and deer, although that wasn't necessarily surprising.

I took in the smells, my mind wandering back to her. Always back to her.

This scent used to be my favorite, but now all I can think of is how Hailey smells so much better. How she's so much warmer and inviting that the rustic cabin in front of me, the one that I knew so well and will always know. The nagging voice at the back of my mind, who sounded awfully similar to Luke, told me that I really didn't know Hailey. Don't get me wrong, I know who she is but I don't know her-- if that makes sense.

I know her eyes squint when she laughs, and she usually throws her head back, too. She likes to wear summery dresses and have her hair curled, but she braids it a lot too. Her favorite junk food is pizza, but she actually likes eating salads too. She was the best hunter, known as Artemis, but now she's not. She stopped for me.

Or at least, that's what I'm led to believe.

The door to the cabin opened and a familiar old woman stood there, her wispy white hair pulled into a bun. She beckoned me with one hand, the other holding clothes that were undoubtedly for me.

Padding over to her, I accepted the clothes and shifted, pulling on the sweatpants and t-shirt.

Looking into her eyes, I could see the sadness enveloped in them as she looked upon me, "My dear boy, what's wrong?"

Sighing, I pulled her in for a hug, "I have a problem, Gran."

~
A/n: short chapter and ik I'm sorry!! But I just had to establish this :) but I mean, chapter 32 and I'm still introducing new characters? #cray lol

QOTC: do you think Hailey is actually going to stop hunting?

AOTC: good question

(Ps: Merry Christmas, Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Boxing Day!!!)

((Pps: *phew* did I get all of them?^))