Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Chase

There was smoke everywhere. Every breath I took was filled with smoke and I nearly gagged as I inhaled some wolfsbane along with it. The flames engulfing the house danced before my eyes, taunting me as my eyes frantically darted around, trying to find her-- trying to find Hailey.

The hunters began shooting at random without any real aim, just hoping that a bullet finds its mark in our bodies.

I could feel her, and I knew she was still alive, but I just didn't know where. 

The shooting stopped and for a silent minute or two, nobody moved. There wasn't a faltering step or a move forward. It was a picture-perfect example of a stalemate. We both waited for the other to make the first move so that we could be the ones to retaliate.

Finally, I heard it; the 'click' of someone loading a gun and cocking it. Snarling lowly, I knew the rest of my pack on the front line with me had heard it too. Letting out a deafening roar, I leapt forward with my pack behind me, tearing into the necks of the murderous men in front of me.

The noise seemed to fade away as I charged forward, slicing with my claws and tearing with my teeth. I dug through flesh, clamping down with my jaw as I crushed bones beneath them. It felt amazing, to finally set myself free and release all of the anger and hurt their kind has caused me since they killed my parents and my pack. Everything that has gone wrong in my life has been because of a hunter.

And now I am getting my revenge.

My canines were sunk deep in the jugular or a hunter when another shot a silver bullet at me. Luckily, their aim was shit as it hit my front leg.

Howling, I released the hunter from my jaws. He would die from blood loss soon enough.

I turned my attention towards the other hunter, who was rushing to reload his shotgun before I could get to him. Snarling viciously, I launched myself at him.

He yelled back, dropping his gun and thrusting a silver knife into my side, right in between two ribs.

Letting out a howl, I swiped at him and raked his entire chest with my claws. He let out an agonized cry, staggering back away from me, but it was too late. He was in my line of sight, and I was seeing red and craving more.

More blood and more death.

As I charged him and leapt forward, he dropped to the ground and rolled out of my way. My chest vibrated with a growl as I turned to face him, only to take another silver bullet, this time to the shoulder.

"No!" I heard her. Hailey yelled out as I was shot and she thrusted her dagger, which landed square in the back of the hunter in front of me.

He sputtered a bit of blood before falling forward, clearly dead.

Hailey was covered in what looked like ash with a small cut across her forehead. She was panting and breathing heavily. She nodded to me in acknowledgement, a glint of mischief in her eyes.

I barked out a thank you to her before looking for a new target-- someone else to sink my teeth in.

She's fine, my wolf cooed. Hailey was perfectly fine and alive for the time being. Putting my incessant worry for her aside for a little while, I set my sights on a hunter spraying bullet after bullet into my pack.

Roaring, I charged at him from behind and he turned too slow, just in time for me to tear his head from his shoulders in an instant.

I see your signature move hasn't gone anywhere, Luke commented over the mind link, referring to my fourth decapitation of the night.

Smirking, I chuckled, And I never plan on stopping it.

Wolves were everywhere, and I could see blurs of fur scrambling throughout the area, blood spraying all around. It really was an all out war.

The hunters were falling and crumbling apart. They were used to stalking their prey before striking swiftly, but in close, hand-to-hand combat they were practically useless. They didn't stand a chance against the mass of wolves coming against them.

Suddenly I felt a stabbing pain through my hind leg and I whipped my head around, only to find nothing. No one was behind me ripping my leg open.

Hailey.

I tried reaching out to her through the bond. I could feel her pain and the panic inside of her. Something was going really wrong.

Growling, I took off from the yard behind the ever-burning house. My pack had this taken care of, that much was clear. Now it was time for me to take care of my mate. She was hurt somewhere, and I needed to save her. She can take care of herself, I know, but with the panic and sheer terror I was getting from her, something was very off.

I began sprinting through the trees, frantically trying to find her. It wasn't just her leg hurting her, but her heart as well and all I wanted to do was help her.

I have to help my mate.

~
A/N: it's very short but I had to stop it here for the next chapter :)

QOTC: thoughts on Chase's decapitations?