-Chapter 11-

-Ten years ago after the incident-

_______________________________________

The young girl wandered through the snow. Her mind was blank and her face showed no emotion. Not too long ago, her families lives were taken and she was the only one to make it out alive. The only thing on her mind was the horrifying images of her parents before they turned to dust.
'Why' was the only word on her mind.
She didn't know how long she had walked, but she didn't care. She didn't care how cold she was or how much blood soaked her clothes. She wanted to get as far away as possible.
She was at the point where she finally collapsed. 

'Kaname...'

And soon she passed out.

Unknown pov.

I had just left town late at night. I began to have second thoughts about leaving town this late because It was dangerous to walk alone at night since there are vampires lingering around...

  'Maybe I should have stayed in an inn....' I thought as I walked through the deep cold snow and looked around, being cautious. I had wrapped a thick scarf around my neck and had a sweater and jacket on. My long braid moved slightly with the cold breeze.

Then something caught my eye.

I saw something lying in the snow. I became curious and began to approach it with caution. When I got closer I soon realized it was... a little girl?!

 I quickly ran towards her and fell down to my knees beside her and quickly picked her up. Her face was pale and cold and she was soaked in blood. I began to panic, thinking the poor girl was dead, but I realized she was still breathing. I sighed in relief and quickly took off my jacket and covered her with it and I picked her up and held her close to me, quickly running home.

-------------------------------

I woke up when I realized how warm I was.

 I opened my eyes slowly as it adjusted to the dim light. I became very confused, remembering passing out in the snow storm. I realized that I had new clothes on and my hair was a little wet. Soon my confusion was replaced with another emotion that I couldn't explain. My eyes filled with tears when I remembered what happened before. 

His eyes kept flashing in my mind and shivers of fear ran down my spine, but then I heard faint voices coming from outside the door. I froze as the door opened and revealed a young woman and a man.

"Ah! You're awake! Thank goodness, I was beginning to worry! " The woman said with a smile of relief. She had dark green eyes and long wavy auburn hair. The man next to her had slightly messy black hair and blue eyes. Unlike the lady, his face looked serious. 

'These people are human... do they know that I'm...?'

 These questions ran through my mind as I stared at them, slightly nervous. The woman came and stood next to my bed, crouching down to my height and placing the back of her hand against my cheek gently. 

"Hey!" The man said quickly as he looked tensed, stepping towards us. 

"Don't worry Shiro she won't hurt me." She looked over at him with a reassuring smile. 

'...So they do know I'm a vampire.'

"Thank goodness! You're warm again..." she smiled widely. I blushed slightly and looked away, staying quiet. "When I found you, you were as cold as ice!"

"Th-thank you" I managed a whisper. To be honest... I wish she left there...
"No problem. My name is Risa Mathis and the scary man over there is my husband Shiro. May I ask what's your name, child?" She asked.
"....Emi." I said in a quiet tone.
"What a pretty name!" She giggled. I blushed again and looked at her.

 She reminded me of mother a little. Her smile and how caring she was. 

Tears began to fall again. 

"Emi? Are you alright?" She asked as her cheerful face turned to worry. Shiro walks closer and looked at me with a little worry too. 

I began to sob. 

Knowing I can't see my family again hit me hard. Risa pulled me into a tight hug and stroke my hair. 

"If you have nowhere to go, you can stay here with us. We'll take good care of you, dear." She spoke gently. I calmed down a bit and listen to her heartbeat. I pulled back a little and rubbed my tears away. 

"I'll give you some time to think ok?" She gave me a slight smiled. I nodded and looked down.

 "In the meantime, lunch is almost ready. Are you hungry? You're welcome to have some!" Now that she had mentioned it, I was feeling hungry. I nodded in response. 

She stood up and walk out the room and Shiro followed her as well. I swung my legs out the bed and stood up and walked to the door, peeking out. It was a small hallway and the kitchen was at the end. I could hear the two whisper.

"Are you sure you wanna do this? You know she's a vampire." Shiro sighed, sounding tense.

"Oh quit being so worried. The poor thing was left for dead in that storm, she seems like a defenseless child. So what if she's a vampire? We don't know her situation... for now, let us eat together." She responded, causing Shiro to go quietly.

 I stepped out of the room and began walking down the hallway slowly. With every step, I took a deep breath. I don't understand why I feel nervous... probably because I'm not used to being around any humans. But they are nice people...

I arrived in the kitchen and sat at the table where Shiro was sitting. 

Risa served us veggie soup. Even though I'm wasn't a big fan of vegetables, Risa's cooking was delicious. I ended up eating two servings.

"Thank you for the meal..." I thanked her in a quiet voice.

"No problem! I'm glad you like it!" She smiled. I gave her a small smile and looked down. Then I remembered something. Something that monster said before he left.

 'I hope Kaname is alright...'

'I'll probably never see him again...'  thinking about that made me feel depressed.

"Emi?" Shiro snapped me from my thoughts. I looked up to see Risa and Shiro looking at me. "Sorry I was lost in thought," I said quietly. 

"It's alright. And remember you're welcome to stay as long as you want alright?" She gave me a reassuring smile.

I ended up agreeing to live with them. And I'm glad I did. Risa was a doctor and Shiro was a vampire hunter. No wonder why he was very cautious when I came. But after a while, he began to treat me like his daughter. He kept my existence a secret from the hunter association and the Senate when he and Risa found out who I was. But they treated me like their daughter and it really made me happy.
----------------------------

I smiled at the memory of when I first met them. They're probably worried sick right now... after all, I left without saying anything to anyone.
'I should visit them soon.' I thought as I began to head to the Dormitory.