The Trap

Hey guys! I'm blown away with the number of reads on this story. We're nearing 2k! I couldn't ask for better readers. Love you all! Enjoy!

"Bob, you stay here and guard the approach. The rest of us will start up."

So now we were on a long walk upwards, and I was losing energy quick.

"Are we there yet?" Amy complained. "It's a hell of a climb." I couldn't have said it better myself.

River went on and on to answer her simple question, so I zoned out halfway through to focus on my climbing.

"Lovely species, the Aplans. We should visit them sometime," The Doctor said.

"I thought they were all dead," Amy said.

Says the girl with the time machine, I thought.

"Well, so is Virginia Wolf. I'm on her bowling team. The Aplans were very nice, sort of... cheerful. But I suppose that's how it goes, you're never short of a snog with an extra head."

"That's a picture I'm going to try to get out of my head asap," I mumbled. Amy grinned at me.

River looked around. "Doctor, there's something. I don't know what it is yet-"

"There's something wrong. Don't know what it is yet either, working on it. And then they started having laws against self-marrying, I mean what was that about? But that's the church for you, I guess. Uh, no offense, bishop."

Octavian stared at him. "Quite a lot taken, if that's alright, Doctor."

I walked up behind The Doctor, standing on my tip toes to hold my lips by his ear, still without touching him. "You should really keep your mouth shut sometimes," I said quietly.

"Oh, oh yeah, yeah and you do?" He said defensively, turning to me. I folded my arms and raised my eyebrows, giving him an amused smirked. I did nothing BUT keep my mouth shut. He paused, realization dawning on him. "Okay," he said quietly. "Shut up. Don't answer that."

I smirked and followed him since we'd fallen a bit behind with the group.

"Church had a point, if you think about it," Amy was saying. "Divorces must've been messy." I chuckled. Trust Amy to think of that. We're all went on talking about Aplans and their two heads for a while before The Doctor stopped suddenly.

"Oh!"

River looked over and realization crept into her face. "Oh."

"Oh," I whispered, understanding what they saw.

"Exactly," The Doctor said.

"How could we not have noticed that?" River hissed.

"Perception filter, or maybe, we're thick," he answered. Judging off of what I've seen of The Doctor and River so far, I'm going to assume it's the second option.

"What's going on?" Octavian asked.

"Father Octavian I am so sorry, but I've made a mistake, and we're all in terrible danger."

"What danger?"

"The Aplans," I piped up, shining my flashlight on one of the statues.

"The Aplans?" Octavian asked.

"They've got two heads," River answered.

"So?" He said.

"So, why don't the statues?" The Doctor said. "Everyone over... there. Hurry. Don't ask questions, don't speak. Now everyone switch off your torches," he ordered. We did. "Now. I'm going to turn off this one, just for a moment."

"Doctor, are you sure about this?" River said. He smirked.

"Nope." He turned it off for a split second, and when it came back on, all the statues had moved.

"Oh my god!" Amy said, backing up slightly.

"Clerics, keep one statue in sight at all times!" The Doctor wove his way around several angels, to outside the little cave we'd entered, where River and Amy and I followed him to gaze out over all the statues. They're angels!" The Doctor said excitedly, his eyes wide. "All of them!"

"Oh wonderful!" I said. "So what the hell do we do now!?"

"Ruby, calm down," River said, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Now isn't the time to panic."

"Actually, contrary wise, I think this is an excellent time to panic," Amy said. "Go for it, Ruby."

Okay! So due to my morbid lack of patience and attention limitations, I'm just going to say that boom flash pow, we were now being chased by an angel that killed Bob, Angelo, and Christian, Amy was still looking rather freaked out, and we were all trapped in a cave with no hope of escape.

"There's no way up, no way back, no way out. No pressure, but this is usually when you have a REALLY good idea," River said. He shut his eyes calmly and I folded my arms. Watching him expectantly.

"There's always a way out," he said suddenly. His voice seemed to echo. There's always a way out," he repeated. After a moment of his thinking, he turned to Amy. "Trust me?" He asked. She looked him straight in the eye.

"Yeah."

He turned to River. "Trust me?"

She nodded. "Always."

He whirled around to look at me. "You trust me?"

"Never," I answered without hesitation. He grinned.

"Ah, that's what I needed to hear."

Did he have something he was trying to prove?

He turned to Octavian. "You lot, trust me?" He asked. Octavian looked over his shoulder at one of his clerics.

"We have faith, sir," he answered.

"Then give me your gun."

My eyes froze at a painful size.

But Octavian (foolishly) gave his gun to The Doctor who looked at the rest of us. God knows how he got all this trust.

"Now, on my signal, jump."

"Come again?" I asked.

"Just jump. High as you can."

"What signal?" Octavian questioned.

"You won't miss it!" The Doctor answered, lifting the gun to aim it at the gravity globe. See, what'd I tell you? He's an idiot. Now, thanks to all the "trust" he's somehow earned, an idiot with a gun.

"Sorry. Excuse me. May I ask again, sir. You mentioned a mistake we made?" Angel Bob said. The Doctor shot me a glance letting me know that the following message was to me as well.

"Oh, big mistake, great big, whopping mistake. Because there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap."

"And what would that be, sir?" Asked Angel Bob. This wasn't looking good for me. Because I knew what he'd say next and it wrecked my entire plan.

"Me," The Doctor answered, glancing at me. He pulled the trigger. I jumped but couldn't stop thinking about what he said and how he'd directed it at me. Okay, so he knew what I was doing. Didn't mean I couldn't do it. But I had a reply. One he really should've seen coming.

Then I'll be the first to trap you.

10 votes for the next chapter!

Read on, Awkward Ferrets!!

~TheLivingParadox