Brighter Than Sunflowers

I laid down across from Vincent and felt Amy, laying to my left, lace her fingers with mine. She knew I'd cried earlier, but had avoided the subject as did The Doctor and Vincent, all pretending not to notice my red eyes and beaten down mood.

"Hold my hand, Doctor," Vincent said. He linked hands with The Doctor and Amy. The Doctor neared my hand hopefully and I pulled away. "Try to see what I see," Vincent continued. "We are so lucky we are still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black and without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blowing through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air and then, shining, burning, bursting through, the stars!" Vincent sat up on his elbows. "Can you see how they roar their light? Everywhere we look, the complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes."

"I've seen many things, my friend. But you're right. Nothing quite as wonderful as the things you see," The Doctor admitted. I wished I had that way of viewing things. Being able to see beauty everywhere you look? That must be nice.

"I will miss you terribly," Vincent told Amy. I shuddered, the cold digging through my jacket.

The Doctor finally succeeded in taking my hand. I felt those helpful spine tingles remind me that I hated him as his cold thumb brushed over the back of my warm hand reassuringly.

Ah, helpful tingles.

But, logic piped up. You don't want him to let you go, do you?

No, of course I didn't.

Then don't let him go.

And I didn't.

***

I awoke the next morning to a new sunrise. A new chance.

We arranged to depart around noon, but the time had come to leave, and I found myself reluctant.

"I only wish I had something of real value to give you!" Vincent commented as he handed The Doctor the self portrait of himself in a straw hat. Amy was giggling like a crazy woman, and I was cracking a smile as well.

"Oh, no, no, no. I could never accept such an extraordinary gift," The Doctor said with an amazed smile.

"Very well. You're not the first to decline the offer!" Vincent pointed out with a good-natured laugh. "Amy! The blessed! The wonderful!" He threw his arms around her and she smiled happily.

"Ohh, be good to yourself! And be kind to yourself," she said, nodding at him.

"I'll try my best," he promised her, kissing her in the cheek.

"And maybe give the beard a little trim before you next kiss someone?" She giggled. He laughed.

"And if you ever tie of this Doctor of yours, return! And we will have children by the dozen!"

I cleared my throat pointedly, a slight warning to Vincent to not mention him, Amy, and offspring in the same sentence again. And for that matter, never to mention her and The Doctor in the same statement with any kind of remotely relational romantic suggestions.

"Yeek," she said slowly.

"And Ruby," Vincent said with his happy tone. "What kind of silent guardian angel are you? Through all I've seen in this universe, never once have I imagined a woman with such a deadly innocence! How do you do it?" He laughed.

"Oh, I have my ways," I chuckle lightheartedly.

"A mystery worth solving, she is," he told Amy and The Doctor vaguely with a laugh. "Doctor, my friend, we have fought monsters together and we have won. On my own, I fear I may not do as well," he admitted.