The Wedding of Melody Pond

The climb was made in silence. Amy and Rory took a bit of time to catch up.

Where the pyramid cap should have been, it was open to the sky on Area 52.

The Doctor overlooked our project, and just glared at me.

"What's this? Oh, it's as timey-wimey distress beacon. Who built this?"

"Who do you think?" I demanded. "Who's standing right in front of you?"

"Yes, but that's all you've got, a distress beacon?"

"I've been sending out a message. A distress call. Outside the bubble of our time, the universe is still turning, and I've sent a message everywhere. To the future and the past, the beginning and the end of everything. The Doctor is dying. Please, please help."

"Ruby! Ruby, this is ridiculous. That would mean nothing to anyone. It's insane. Worse, it's stupid. You embarrass me."

Amy and Rory showed up.

"We barricaded the door, we've got a few minutes," Amy said. "Just tell him. Just tell him, River."

"Those reports of the sun spots and the solar flares," I said, looking at him desperately. "They're wrong. There aren't any. It's not the sun, at all. The sky is full of a thousand, million voices saying yes, of course we'll help. You've touched so many lives, saved so many people. Did you think when your time came, you'd really have to do more than just ask?" He started to speak, but I wasn't done yet. "You've decided that the universe is better off without you, but the universe doesn't agree!"

He steeled himself, and looked me in the eye coldly. "Ruby, no one can help me. A fixed point has been altered. Time is disintegrating!"

He didn't get it, did he? He thought I assumed I could stand up to universe. I wasn't that stupid. I wanted him safe, that's all. Safe from himself. But how could I choose between the universe and the epicenter of my universe?

"I can't let you die-" I said quietly, looking down at my feet. He cut me off.

"But I have to die!" He cried.

"Shut up, and key me finish!" I shouted. I was sick of him assuming I was doing this all to hurt him, just because I was stubborn. I was sick of him assuming I hated every cell in his body. "I can't let you die, without knowing that you are loved! By so many, and so much!" I said, and then ground down and said the words. "And by no one more than me."

Tears were in his eyes. He knew I had to be pushed far over the edge and worn down to the core if I would say something like that.

"Ruby, you and I, we know what this means. We are ground zero of an explosion that will engulf all reality. Billions on billions will suffer and die."

"But I'll suffer if I have to kill you!"

"More than every living thing in the universe!" He demanded, staring me down like he didn't know the answer.

I stood up straight, looked him in the eyes, and delivered the most dignified, "Of course," I could manage. The tears sort of ruined the dignity.

"Ruby. Ruby, why do you had have to be this? Melody Pond, your daughter," he looked at Amy and Rory. "I hope you're both proud!"

Everyone fell silent.

I stared at him. "What?" I whispered. "What did you say?"

"Amy, uncuff me now," he said, giving in. She obeyed, and took away the handcuffs. He took a deep breath, and then twirled around to face the rest of us.