Americans

"Who are you? Why did you come?" Asked River to the old man, her voice quiet.

"The same reason as you." He produced an opened blue envelope that held the number 5 on the back. "Doctor Song. Ruby. Amy. Rory. I'm Canton Everett Delaware the third. I won't be seeing you again. But, you'll be seeing me."

With that, Canton Everett Delaware the third tracked back up the hill to his truck.

"Five," River said suddenly.

"Sorry, what?" Asked Rory.

"The Doctor numbered the envelopes."

***

We entered to e cafe we'd visited with The Doctor earlier today. It felt haunted. "You got 4, Ruby received 3, I was 2, Mister Delaware was 5."

"So?" I snapped, not exactly in a great mood.

"So, where's 1?" She asked.

"What, you think he invited someone else?" Rory asked.

"Well, he must have. He planned all of this, to the last detail."

"Will you two shut up? It doesn't matter," Amy said.

"He was up to something."

"He's dead."

"Space, 1969. What did he mean?"

"You're still talking, but it doesn't matter," Amy snapped.

"It mattered to him," I told her sharply. Yeah, this was hard on her, but no, she wasn't about to waste away for him like I had when I was little.

"So it matters to us," River announced.

"But he's dead."

"But he still needs us. I know. Amy, I know. But right now we have to focus."

"Look," Rory said. Another blue envelope lay on a table near the back, with the number one on it. "Excuse me, who was sitting over there?" He asked the busboy.

"Some guy," the guy answered vaguely.

Fat lot of use that is, Logic complained.

"The Doctor knew he was going to his death, so he sent out messages," River worked out.

"When you know it's the end, who would you call?" I said.

"Uh, your friends. People you trust," Rory replied.

"Number 1. Who did The Doctor trust the most?" Continued River, holding up the envelope. Well it isn't any of us. Who else did he even know? Did he actually have friends besides us? That was a scary thought. So, who did he trust the most?

The person who just emerged out of the back room, that's who. I stood up straighter.

"This is cold. Even by your standards, this is cold," River snapped.

"Or hello, as people used to say," The Doctor said cautiously.

"Doctor?" Amy said meekly.

"Just popped out to get my special straw. It adds more fizz." He held up his straw for us to see.

"You're okay. How can you be okay?" She asked softly, circling him and adjusting he is bowtie.

"Hey, of course I'm okay. I'm always okay. I'm the King of Okay." He hugged her gently. "Oh, that's a rubbish title. Forget that title. Rory the Roman! That's a good title. Hello, Rory!" He hugged Rory, and then turned to River. "And Doctor River Song. Oh, you bad, bad girl. What trouble have you got for me this time?"