Liar Liar

The Doctor shoved Amy into the Tardis and I smirked. I didn't think he'd let her do that. She perched herself on the edge of the console with a suggestive smile. She giggled as he walked up to her.

He reached under her arm and flipped a lever.

"Oh, typical bloke. Straight to fixing his motor," she said. He walked around and started typing on the scanner.

"That's the thing, Amy. I am not a typical bloke," he said.

"Sorry, did I do something wrong, because I'm getting kind of mixed signals here!" She smacked the lever he'd pushed up back down. I folded my arms and leaned back against the handrails.

"Mixed signals?" He reached over and pushed it back up. "How?"

"Oh come on. You turn up in the middle of the night, get me out of my bed in my nightie, which you then don't let me change out of for ages, and take me for a spin in your time machine." She seemed to forget I had been there. "No, no, you're right, no mixed signals there, that, is just a signal! Like a great big bat signal in the sky! Get your coat love, The Doctor is in."

His face, that had been smirking at her, fell. "No. No! No, no, no, it's not like that, that-that's not what I'm like!"

"Then what are you like?" She asked.

"I dunno. Gandalf. But a space Gandalf. Or the little green one in Star Wars. Whom!" He spun in a circle, acting like he had a lightsaber.

"You really are not," Amy pointed out. "You are a bloke, and you don't know it. And here I am to help." He grabbed her hands off of him where they were holding his suspenders.

"That is not why you're here."

"Then why am I here?" She demanded, still trying to get closer to him.

"Because! Because I can't... see it anymore."

"See what?"

"I'm nine hundred years old!" He answered, sitting down on a bench. "After a while, you just can't see it anymore."

"See what?" She repeated, exasperated.

"Everything. I look at a star, and it's just a big ball of burning gas, and I know how it began, I know how it ends, and, I was probably there both times. You see, make all of space and time your backyard, and what do you have? A backyard. But you, you see it. And when you see it, I see it." He stood up to look into her eyes, back to looking like a happy toddler.

What did I tell you? He's only ever out for himself.

She looked let down. "And that's the only reason you took me with you."

"There are worse reasons," he pointed out, and she smirked.

"I was certainly hoping so." She walked away a few steps and he returned to the console. She stopped, and I could almost see the lightbulb going off in her head. "Does that mean we're not the first then?" She asked. "There have been others traveling around with you!"

Yeah. Surprise, Amy he has a life. What do you think he was doing for fourteen years? Twiddling his thumbs?

"Yeah," he said reluctantly, suddenly looking very uncomfortable with where this conversation was going. "You know. But just friends. You know, chums, pals, mates; not mates, forget mates."

"Ah," I said, feeling obligated to add to discomfort. "And just out of curiosity, how many of these 'friends', would you say, were girls?"

"Oh," he said flatly before returning to acting way too casual. "Some of them, I suppose. Must've been. I don't really know, it's a gray area."

I snickered. "Under half, over half?"

"Maybe... a little... a tiny bit over?" He offered, leaning on the console at an awkward angle and looking down at me. I'd confidently sauntered up to him, standing too close for comfort, but not near enough to let him touch me.

"Hm. Young?" I asked casually.

"They're all young compared to me," he assured me a little too quickly, but keeping eye contact until my gaze was simply too intense for him to hold.

Amy, who was inspecting a part of the console up to this point, looked over, smirking. "Hot?"

I eased off of physical closeness with The Doctor, smirking at Amy's question. Trust her to think of that.

"No, no, no, none at all, not really-" he shrugged hopelessly, giving up. "Maybe one or two. I don't really notice."

Hm. Yeah right. I flipped my hair just a little as I looked over at Amy and knew his gaze flickered to me. Practice what you preach, mister.

"Well, this big old machine must have some kind of visual record," she decided.

"Oh god no, and anyway, they're voice locked."

I chuckled mockingly. "Ah, voice locked. So I would just have to say, show me all records for previous Tardis in inhabitants!" I said, half to the Tardis half to him.

He laughed at me. "Ah, no, I mean voice locked. I would have to say show me all records for previous Tardis inhabitants."

"Aw," Amy said, skipping up next to him and kissing his cheek. "Thank you."

On one of the circle thingys came to life and Amy and I watched as pictures showed up on the screen. They were all young, hot women. Wow. So he's shallow now too?

"Liar liar, pants on fire," I muttered.

"What? No! No, no!"

Yes yes yes, you idiot. What happened to all of those girls? Did they get left behind broken hearted? Did they leave him for some reason that I should know about? Did they die? And if he'd just lied to us about something minorly important, what else would he be willing to hide from us? I balled my fists and grit my teeth. He was so willing to lie to us about something so small. That said a lot about his character.

"Ooh, Gandalf!" Amy laughed.

"Right. Thanks, dear," he was snapping to the Tardis. "Miss out on the metal dog, why don't you?"

Metal what now?

Amy's jaw was hanging open, speechless, but mine was shut tight.

"Right," The Doctor said. "Rory, Rory, we're gonna find Rory, we're gonna find him now."

"He's at a stag night," Amy said dismissively.

"Well then. Let's make it a gray one."

He pulled a lever and we went flying through the vortex.

Hola! Hope you enjoyed this little chapter. If you haven't watched this scene yet, it's up in the media box for you.

Next up, Vampires In Venice! Anyone else looking forward to that as much as I am?

Read on, Awkward Ferrets!

~TheLivingParadox