A Shadow Makes a Hero

"No, no, no!" The Doctor was following me out soon enough, followed closely by Vincent.

"Amy? Amy? What happened?" The Doctor asked. I was on my knees next to her already, helping her up cautiously.

" I don't know, I didn't see it. I was having a look at the paintings out here when something hit me from behind."

"It's okay. He's gone now, and we're here," The Doctor assured her.

"No, no!" Vincent shouted. I looked over and my eyes opened wide. He must be having a mental breakdown or something. As I stumbled away, Amy had to catch herself so she didn't go with me.

"Take it easy, take it easy!" The Doctor yelled, trying to calm Vincent down as he backed away from whatever he was seeing. .

"What's happening? What's he doing?" Amy asked.

"I don't know," The Doctor answered quickly. Vincent heaved a pitchfork into his hands. "Oh dear," The Doctor said.

"Run. Run!" Vincent shouted, warding off a nonexistent creature with the metal tool. I climbed to my feet and helped up Amy. Neither The Doctor nor Amy noticed me slipping in front of my best friend protectively, they were so preoccupied with Vincent. If there really was something there, it would have to rip my body to shreds before it could have Amy.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's not a bad idea. Amy, get back. He's having some kind of fit. I'll try to calm him down," The Doctor ordered. She backed away. Vincent stabbed wildly at the creature, driving it back a little. "Easy, Vincent," The Doctor said. "Easy. Look. Look, look, look. It's me, it's me, it's me. It's the Doctor, look. No-one else is here. So, Vincent-"

Vincent saw the invisible beast do something that made him panic. "Look out!" He shouted. It was too late. With one powerful whack from nothingness, The Doctor went flying.

"I can't see anything. What is it?" Amy asked, straining her eyes.

"That is a good question! Let me help you," he said to Vincent, picking up a pole and using it to tear at empty air.

"You can see him too?" Vincent asked.

"Yes. Ish. Well, no. Not really."

He always took too long to get to the point. This time that was more costly than usual, because he was sent through air across the yard again before either Vincent or I could warn him.

"You couldn't see him!" I accused him.

"No. No." He scrambled to his feet and began using his pole to slash at the air.

Vincent gave him a look before jamming his pointy weapon into the invisible monster somehow. Wounded and wailing, it limped away, flattening a couple of bushes on its way away.

When things calmed down, The Doctors grunted as he swung his pole got my attention. Looking over, I watched him swipe at the air cluelessly. I put my hand in Amy's when she appeared from her hiding place.

I would be liked to watch The Doctor swing his pole around for a few minutes, but Vincent spoke up.

"He's gone."

"Oh, right. Yes. Of course," he replied, swiftly ceasing slashing at air. Hm. Who looks like they're having a mental breakdown now, huh?

***

"Right. So he's invisible," The Doctor reasoned. Well, obviously. "What did he look like?"

"I'll show you," Vincent answered. He picked up a canvas with a lovely painting of violets over it, and began to paint it over with white.