A Dream That Didn't Exist

Restac fell to her knees beside Alaya and let out a long, mournful was that broke my heart to bits. "My sister. And you want us to trust these apes, Doctor?" She stood up, hatred lighting fire like her pain was gasoline. I knew how that felt all too well.

"One woman," he pointed out, trying to save the little that was left. "She was scared for her family. She is not typical."

Restac shot to her feet. "I think she is."

"One person let us down, but there is a whole race of dazzling, peaceful human beings up there. You were building something here! Come on! An alliance could work!"

"It's too late for that, Doctor," Ambrose said reluctantly. He seemed to slow down majorly.

"Why?" He demanded curiously, as if he were fighting to stay calm.

"Our drill is set to start burrowing again in fifteen minutes," she said, glancing at a small timer in her hand. I nearly hit the floor at this news.

"What?" Nasreen asked in disbelief, looking at Tony Mack.

"What choice did I have?" He asked her. "They had Eliot."

"No. Don't do this, don't call their bluff," The Doctor warned, but it was clear we'd passed the time for negotiations when Ambrose spoke up again.

"Let us go back. And you promise to never come to the surface ever again. We'll walk away, leave you alone!" She said.

After a moment of disbelief, Restac announced another order. "Execute her."

"No!" The Doctor grabbed Ambrose and they ran. "Everybody, back to the lab. Run!" He corralled us away and I looked back to see him disable Silurian weapons as laser bullets flew. He rolled out of the way as a soldier tried to poison him with it's long tongue like Rory had told me Alaya had done with Tony Mack.

"Execute all the apes!" Restac barked.

"This is a deadly weapon," he told them. "Stay back."

Oh, for crying out loud. Stop showing off! I gave him a loud clap, making him jump. He looked over, saw me, and nodded. Without another warning to him, I turned around and ran, not hesitating to leave him in the hands of danger.

In the hallway, we all re-accumulated.

"Take every one to the lab and make sure Ruby doesn't snap any necks," he told Amy and Rory. "I'll cover for you."

How heroic, I thought sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"Elliot, you and your dad keep your eyes on that screen. Let me know if we get company. Amy, keep reminding me how much time I haven't got. Ruby, as always, you're the boss." He winked at me subtly and started working on the console.

"Okay. Um, er, twelve minutes till drill impact," Amy informed him.

"Tony Mack. Sweaty forehead, dilated pupils. What are you hiding?" He asked.

Tony unbuttoned his shirt three buttons to reveal fat green veins spreading across his chest.

"Tony, what happened?" Nasreen asked in horror.

"Alaya's sting. She said there's no cure. I'm dying, aren't I?" He asked.

"You're not dying, you're mutating," The Doctor answered after a second.

"How can I stop it?" Tony asked.

"Decontamination program. Might work. Don't know. Eldane, can you run the program on Tony?"