The Day Oakley Died

I was summoned by the sound of crying.

"I feel like I been toasted," Buzzer said as he was helped down from his harness.

"What the hell happened?" The Scottish man asked.

"The tsunami happened. You hurt?" Amy asked.

"It feels like the National Grid's run through my bones but apart from that," Jimmy said.

"I hope the meter's not bust. I still want to get paid," Buzzer said.

"Jennifer! Jennifer. Hey, all right?" Rory rushed to her side. She was shaking and sobbing. That's who I'd heard. Poor girl.

"It hurt so much."

"Hey. Hey, it's okay. It's over," he assured her, giving her a huff.

"I couldn't get out of my harness."

"Shush," I said gently, coming over and putting my hand on her back gently.

"I thought I was going to die."

"Welcome to my world," Rory and I said at the exact same time. We locked eyes, and I resisted laughing.

The Doctor ran in with Cleaves. I glared at them.

A bit late, Logic snapped.

"Doctor, these are all real people, so where are their Gangers?" Amy asked.

"Don't worry. When the link shuts down, the Gangers return to pure Flesh. Now, the storm's left us with acid leaks all over, so we need to contact the mainland. They can have a rescue shuttle out here in no time," Cleaves reasoned.

The Dusty Springfield song started up eerily. Every one went silent.

"That's my record. Who's playing my record?" The Scottish man asked.

"Your Gangers. They've gone walkabout," The Doctor said.

"No, it's impossible. They're not active. Cars don't fly themselves, cranes don't lift themselves and Gangers don't..."

In the dining hall, the "No way," that Buzzer gave didn't cover half of it. Everything was a mess. Books strewn everywhere, papers, items of personal possession, and of course, the record player.

"I don't- I don't believe this," Cleaves said.

"They could've escaped through the service door at the back," the Scottish man said.

"This is just like the Isle of Sheppey," Buzzer said.

"It would seem the storm has animated your Gangers," The Doctor said.

"They've ransacked everything," Cleaves said.

"Not ransacked, searched."

"Through our stuff!"

"Their stuff."

"Searching for what?" The Scottish man cut in.

"Confirmation. They need to know their memories are real."

"Oh, so they've got flaming memories now," Buzzer said.

"They feel compelled to connect to their lives."

"Their stolen lives."

"No, bequeathed. You gave them this. You poured in your personalities, emotions, traits, memories, secrets, everything. You gave them your lives. Human lives are amazing. Are you surprised they walked off with them?"

"I'll say it again. Isle of Sheppey. Ganger got an electric shock, toddled off, killed his operator right there in his harness. I've seen the photos. This bloke's ear was all hanging-" Buzzer said.