Chapter 34: Lifeless

Bang
Lifeless.

Sam Wilson lowered his pistol as his expression contorted itself into nothing but pure pain. His aim was impeccable, as he had stood twenty feet away from Halo Band, who now lie across the grate- completely still. And unlike before, when she had become unconscious and fallen only to rise again, this time, she would not stand.

Steve's breath was staggered, but not from the multiple wounds he had received. Slowly, his legs and arms gave out from holding him as he lowered himself onto the grate, his widened eyes staring at the body before him.

It couldn't be.

Could it?

Sam's was already crazed, taking a moment to chuck the pistol over the edge, shattering the glass dome and sending the small weapon tumbling into the ocean that laid beneath. "I had to" his voice cracked, his tone an angered confusion.

Steve said nothing as he slowly turned to the microchips. Taking the Hydra one out and replacing it with the one Hill instructed to use, he slowly stood again, walking forward before stopping before Halo.

Everything began to move in a motion that would not be remembered by anyone, not even Steve or Sam. The Captain lifted the lifeless form from the floor as the machine guns attached to the three ships began aiming at each other and firing.

They were already exploding as oil tanks were hit.

Jumping down to what was remaining of the glass dome, the two of them called for Fury and his helicopter, which came as soon as it could, catching their leap before the entire hellicarrier crashed on top of them.

"Good work, gentlemen" Fury was saying as the helicopter began its flight back to the base after picking up Hill. Steve said nothing as he watched the smoke rise from the Shield headquarters.

Slowly, after they arrived and Steve climbed out, nurses removed Halo's body from his arms before he stood stock still, watching them disappear into the doors.

Finally, he opened his mouth as Sam stood beside him.

His voice was stern, as if he were angry at how things had played themselves. "Untimely" he said, his eyes glaring at the swinging doors. "Very untimely"

Somewhere inside of him felt just as worse as it had before, when he had watched Bucky Barnes fall into an abyss, screaming in an agony of anticipation for death.

Finally, after much time passed, he turned away, his stoic expression scaring Sam, who had stood and waited.

"so what now?" The friend asked, feeling a heavy burden upon himself as well.

Abruptly, Steve's forehead wrinkles turned into an angry form, his hard glare intensifying as he began walking toward a Shield car briskly. "We go find that son of a bitch". His tone left Wilson in his tracks, the lack of insecurity in it was unlike what Rogers had been before.

"Who the hell would that be?" It was a ridiculous question that was directed to someone he thought was being ridiculous.

A response never came as Steve Rogers slammed the drivers seat door behind him, turning the black suburban into drive. The wheels spun in place for a moment before the entire contraption jilted forward, turning down the drive to exit.

Sam turned back to the base, walking slowly into the main hall.

There was a tinge of hope in his chest, as he thought about what he had done.

How could it have been that quick?

He hadn't shot her in the head.

/

Thanks for 1K reads! Path is chapter is the last one for this book xoxo