California Love

“I'm gonna miss you chica.” Madison hugs me for like the eighth time. She and Aiden volunteered to drop me off at the airport this morning.

“I'm gonna miss you guys too.” I pout as I pull back from the hug. “Promise to come visit me in California this summer?” I question with a raised brow.

“Yeah no.” Madison shakes her head. “I'm not really a sunshine and sand type of girl.”

“Boo you Madison, you have to come. Even if it's only for a week.”

“We'll be there Spence.” Aiden speaks up, getting a sideways glance from his girlfriend.

“I didn't ask you to speak for me.” She snaps at him. He smiles.

“Yeah, but you're being a total bitch to your best friend right now.” Aiden retorts, not missing a beat. These two are so perfect for each other.

“I'm from New York, it's what we do.” Madison shrugs at Aiden then turns back to me. “We'll come for the fourth of July or something.” She throws out as she pulls me into another hug.

“Yay.” I say as we pull back, clapping my hands together. “You'll get to meet my parents, my brothers....and Lexy.”

“You're pushing it Spence.” Aiden chimes in. I chuckle because I know he's right. Lexy is the main reason Madison doesn't want to go to California. She's definitely the jealous type. She hates sharing.

“Fine.” I say and chuckle. “I love you guys. Don't have too much fun while I'm gone.” I tell them, pulling them both into another hug.

“All this hugging is making me feel like a total chick right now.” Aiden says, squirming out of my grasp.

“Aw, you love it.” I pull him back in.

“You should go before we kidnap you and you miss your plane.” Madison says in a serious tone. Yeah, she's not joking right now.

“Okay, okay.” I say quickly. Giving them both a chaste kiss on the cheek and scurrying off into the airport.

“We love you!” They shout to my retreating figure, causing people to turn and stare at them. I shake my head and giggle and them.

“Fancy seeing you here.” A raspy voice says, causing me to look up from my book.

“Oh my God, um... Ashley right?” I stand and smile as she nods.

“Spencer.” She points and returns the smile.

“What are you...” I trail off, realizing the question I was about to ask her was none of my business.

“The gig we had tonight got canceled so we're heading back early.” She answers anyway.

“Cool.” I reply nodding.

“Um... I think that's my seat.” She points to the seat on the side of me next to the window.

“No way.” I shake my head and smile as she shows me her ticket.

“13B.” She reads the ticket. “Must be fate.” She adds, putting her suitcase in the bin above us before squeezing in next to me.

“Must be.” I mumble as she sits down.

“So, Spencer.” She pauses, grabbing my book out of my hand. “The Great Gatsby.” She reads the cover page and smiles as she looks back up at me.

“It's a classic.” I shrug and take it back from her.

“I bet.” She nods.

“It was either this or my visual photography book and I'm so tired of school right now that--”