Troublemaker

"Lex!" I shout up the stairs to my best friend, as I lean over the railing of the staircase.

"Yeah?" She shouts back down? Today has been a pretty quiet day, Lexy's off work and Ashley's out with the band doing...band stuff. My mom called me earlier and asked if I was still coming over. I couldn't think of a reason to say no.

"Can I borrow your car to go over to my parents house?"

"What?" She comes out of her room, standing at the top of the stairs with a hand on her hip.

"Your car, my parent's house, borrow?" I say with a smile, thumbing towards the door.

"But I'm off today." She whines. "Why can't we hang out. Watch movies and make s'mores?" She questions. Okay, what is it with my friend and her need to always want s'mores?

"Can't." I shrug and shake my head. "I promised Paula I'd come by today. You know how she gets if you don't-"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." She waves me off and walks back to her room. I narrow my eyes at the now empty spot at the top of the stairs before she comes back out her room, tossing the keys down to me. "Don't forget we have that double date tonight." She points a stern finger at me.

I sigh and roll my eyes. "Hasn't left my mind." I throw over my shoulder as I'm walking out the door.

"Mom, I'm here." I shout into the house, tossing the car keys on the table by the front door.

"Spencer!" My mother comes from the kitchen clapping her hands together. She pulls me into a bear hug, cutting off my circulation.

"Must you hug me so tightly." I'm barely able to get out and my mother squeezes me even tighter.

"I just missed you so much." She says, giving me another good squeeze before letting me go.

"Mom it's been like two days." I tell her as we walk into the kitchen. "Hey dad." I shout into the living room. I can hear the baseball game so I know he's in there.

"Hello daughter." He shouts back. He'll come give me a hug when there's a commercial

"Well if you wouldn't have waited nine whole months to-"

"Okay mom." I cut her off, raising a hand. "I got it. No more waiting until summer to come home to visit." She smiles and nods her head once. "Where's Glen and Clay?" I question as I take a seat on a stool.

"Clay had class and I think Glen said he was taking Meredith to lunch."

"They're still together?" I ask with a look of disbelief on my face. My mother chuckles as she takes a pan of cookies from the oven.

"Yes, they're still together." I shrug, hopping off the stool to grab one of the delicious sugar cookies from the pan. "Nope." My mother slaps my hand away.

"Owie." I pull it back, rubbing it. That really hurt.

"These need to cool." She tells me as she takes them out of the pan and puts them on a cooling rack. "Speaking of cooling off, how are things with you and Ashley?" What the hell kinda transition is that?

"Really mom?" I quirk a brow at her. She smiles and shrugs.

"Worked didn't it?"

"No." I shake my head once, giving her the most serious face I could muster. "It didn't."

"Never mind that." She waves me off. You didn't answer my question. So I'm assuming it hasn't?" She questions as she takes a seat on a stool. I sigh and follow her lead.