Colorblind

I am colorblind. Coffee black and egg white. Pull me out from inside. I am ready, I am ready, I am ready I am.” Ashley sings as they play the final song of their set. I haven't been able to take my eyes off of her the entire time she's been on stage. “I am taffy stuck and tongue tied. Stutter-shook and uptight. Pull me out from inside. I am ready, I am ready, I am ready, I am..fine.” Everything about her is pulling me in. Making me want her that much more.

“She's amazing right?” Lexy turns to me as says as she sways to her girlfriends voice.

But this is wrong.

I am covered in skin. No one gets to come in. Pull me out from inside. I am folded and unfolded and unfolding. I am colorblind. Coffee black and egg white. Pull me out from inside.”

Everything about this is wrong. She's my best friends girl. I shake my head to clear my thoughts as the songs begins to wind down.

I am ready, I am ready, I am ready, I am fine. I am fine. I am fine.” Ashley finishes, thanking the crowd as her band shuffles off stage.

“They're amazing right?” Lexy turns back to me and asks again. I nod and smile, trying to keep my facial expression as neutral as possible as Ashley makes her way through the crowd towards us. “Baby.” Lexy greets Ashley with a kiss, pulling her into a hug.

I think I'm going to be sick.

My eyes are fixed on Ashley and she’s watching me as Lexy embraces her lovingly. She tries to talk to me with her eyes, but I quickly drop my head, scanning the ground for something...anything. I can’t watch this. I can't look her with my best friend and be okay right now, so I search for an escape instead. Maybe Lexy won’t notice if Ashley’s around.

Lexy removes herself from Ashley’s grasp and wraps an arm around her waist. She points to me, about to start an introduction that, unbeknownst to her, is completely unnecessary.

“Baby this is my best friend Spencer.” She’s smirking right now. I can’t believe she’s smirking. I should push her up against something and… “Spence!” I’m taken out of my thoughts by my best friend and her obnoxious hand, that's waving around in front of my face.

“Quit it,” I slap her hand away with a tut, causing Ashley to laugh. “You’re waving your arms like the karate kid on speed. I heard you.” I think it's safe to say Ashley's laugh does thing to me. I'm thrown back into the memories of earlier that day. The plane ride, the talk, the flirting. There was definitely flirting.

I extend a hand and Ashley does the same. The pang in my hand sends me reeling as the shock from our almost touch radiates through my body. You know that shock that happens when you glide your feet across the carpet and touch a doorknob. We’re on sand so that electricity is obviously just between us. Yeah, that’s kismet shit right there.

Best friend’s girlfriend…let’s get back on track.

After we recover, we properly shake hands and I quickly remember the way she easily slipped her hand in mine when we were on the plane. Everything in me quickly heats. I take a step closer, apparently hypnotized by her eyes as she does the same.

“It’s nice to meet you.”

I’m not sure whose speaking right now. Her lips are moving but mine feel like they are as well. I can't pull back, I want to take a step back, to yell how big of asshole she is for flirting with me in New York and on the plane.

For making me feel like...like.... this.

“I’m so glad you guys are finally meeting.” Lexy claps her hands together cheerfully before placing a hand on each of our backs. “This summer is gonna be so amazing.” She smiles at the pair of us before giving us each a kiss on the cheek. “I'm gonna go get us some drinks. Ashley you want a--”

“Corona.” Ashley says, turning to look at Lexy; effectively breaking our staring contest.

“Spence?” She turns to me and asks.

“Sprite.” I answer distractedly. Trying not to take my eyes off Ashley. Although I do catch the exchange between Lexy and Ashley as Lexy walks away. They seem so in love.

“Well what are the--”

“Are you fucking kidding me?” I stop her mid-sentence, anger evident in my tone.

“I'm not sure I--”

“You're in a fucking relationship Ashley and you didn't feel the need to disclose that information before we started flirting?” I question with a hand on my hip and a raised brow. I'm pissed right now and I'm gonna need a damn good explanation to become un-pissed.

“Spencer it was harmless flirting.” She smirks and shrugs. “I didn't think a conversation starter should include; Hey I'm Ashley, I have a girlfriend, nice to me you.” She narrows her eyes at me. “Plus, I honestly never thought I would see you again.”

“Like that makes it any better!” I reply quickly.

“Spencer,” She whispers my name, moving closer to me. “...don't cause a sce-”

“Really?” I cut her off again.

“Look I'm sorry if I led you on or made you think that--”

“Out of all the fucking people in L.A!” I shout. She looks around me to see if Lexy was coming. “Out of all the damn people.” I begin again, speaking through gritted teeth. “You just had to go and be my best friends girlfriend.” I shake my head and sigh at the irony of this whole situation. She chuckles and opens her mouth to speak but quickly closes it when she sees my facial expression. I seriously don't find any of this funny.

Depressing...yes.

Ironic... sure.

But funny... hell no.

“I could just--”

“Look you were a stranger on a plane.” She shrugs. “I—I didn't really think a biography of my life was in order.” I don't reply. I have nothing to say. “Like I said..” She adds after a moment. “...it was harmless flirting.” She says in a way that makes me forget my name, let alone why I'm mad. Her eyes are fixed on my lips and mine on hers. I can't be having these thoughts right now. Lexy's my best friend and Ashley she's her girlfriend. This is so wrong. We both lift our eyes and connect eyes, she's telling me something right now, something I can't read. I open my mouth to ask her but I'm cut off...

“Here you are.” Lexy cuts me off mid sentence as she hands us both our respective drinks. We eye each other over our bottles as we each sip our drinks.

“How dare this band think they can follow Serenity!” Lexy yells to Ashley over the music, looking unimpressed with the current group that's taken the stage.

“Oh come on, they're good.” Ashley yells back to Lexy, bobbing her head to the beat.

“You guys are better.” Lexy shrugs. “Sleepover at my place?” My best friend suggests, glancing back and forth between me and Ashley.

I glance at Ashley, connecting eyes with her briefly. I can't do this. I can't be in the same house with her and Lexy.

“Lex, I'm really tired I'm just gonna--”

“Nope.” Lexy shakes her head, grabbing my hand. I almost choke on my sprite as she pulls me towards the parking lot. “You're definitely coming.” She tells me sternly. “Come on babe!” She throws over her shoulder, I see a stunned Ashley jog to catch up to us.

This is gonna be a great night.

Song Used- Natalie Walker- Colorblind