Backstabbers

I'm gripping the steering wheel as I sit in the car outside of Lexy's place. I can't believe what Ashley just did, the stunt she pulled. I am not equipped for another emotional roller coaster. I haven't fully gotten over the Carmen thing and now I have to somehow deal with this?

Nope, not gonna happen.

This supposed to be a fun, easy summer, instead I come here and get mixed up with this stupidity. I'm only nineteen and I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from high blood pressure from all this madness. I wouldn't be surprised if I found a few gray hairs.

I'm taken out of my thoughts when my phone goes off. I sigh because I know I now have to hang out with my best friend.

I should be excited right?

So why aren't I?

Probably because I have to pretend that I'm okay when I'm not. Clearly I'm not. I'm hoping fences to meet my best friend's girlfriend, allowing her to serenade me, all the while knowing I shouldn't be doing it any of it.

Who does that?

Stupid people.

Yeah, you were thinking it too.

I answer my phone and put on my best fake happy voice. "Hey, Lex."

"Where are you? I told you we are hanging out tonight." You noticed she said told and not asked.

Yeah.

"I'm sitting in the car outside your place, Lex." I've been sitting in the car for the past forty minutes. Ashley is in the house and I just couldn't deal with her right now. So sitting in the car is my answer to this situation.

She just says 'oh' then hangs up on me.

Seriously?

Minutes later the passenger door opens and she hops into the seat. She squeals in excitement.

"Okay, I'm going to need you to not do that or we're not going."

She blows a raspberry and I quirk a brow at my friend. She makes me smile and I think for a second maybe I can get through this.

Maybe.

I drive us to our favorite location. It's completely touristy but at the same time it's not as we see street performers, vendors, fisherman and surfers down in the ocean doing some moonlight surfing.

Santa Monica Pier

After we grabbed dinner at Rusty's Surf Ranch we decided to take a stroll down the pier. I don't even remember eating let alone this walk right now. My mind isn't here. It should be focused on her but all I think about is Ashley. I've been making a lot of wishes. Like wishing I didn't feel this way, wishing I was back in New York, wishing Ashley wasn't with Lexy so we could be together. In this case wishes don't come true. Maybe they never do.

The shouts of people on the rides and the music fills the pier as Lexy and I walk side by side drinking our ice cream sodas from Soda Jerks.

I've been pretty quiet, letting Lexy do all the talking as she complains to me about her boss. Then she tells me all about how she and Ashley met. Apparently the first time she told me about Ashley, it wasn't in detail enough. I wish she had because I'm finding it very hard keeping my ice cream soda down with every disgustingly cute detail. She tells me how in love with Ashley she is and if I wasn't feeling guilty enough before it's definitely eating at me even more now.

I look over at her and give her a tight lipped smile pretending to be happy for her. Okay let me rephrase that I'm happy for her. I'm happy she's in love, that she's found someone that makes her feel the way that she does. I just wish…it wasn't Ashley.