I'd Rather Be With You

The ringing of my cell phone pulls me out of my sleep. I glance over at the clock on the nightstand. Who's calling me at nine in the morning on a Sunday? I groan as I grab my phone off the dresser, looking at the caller I.D. I should have known.

“Yes, Madison?” I answer in my sleepy voice. Hoping she would get the hint.

“So you get there and forget me. I see how it is.” Madison half yells at me through the phone.

“I'm sorry Mads, I told you, yesterday was really hectic.”

“You think I care?” She snaps. I can't help but giggle. “You promised me we'd talk every day Spence, everyday!” She yells. “Missing a day is not every--”

“I got it, I got it.” I chuckle out. “It won't happen again.” I add after a moment.

“Damn right it won't!” She says sternly, followed by a 'hmph.' “So what happened yesterday that made it so hectic?” I sigh as I remember yesterdays events.

I roll over and scream into the pillow. “I don't want to talk about it.” I mumble.

“That bad huh?”

“You have no idea.” I say as I turn over.

“Maybe if you tell me about it I can--”

“Spencer.” A knock on my door cuts Madison off. I shoot up in bed, knowing who that voice belongs too.

“Just a second.” I yell back to her. “Madison I gotta go.” I tell my friend quickly.

“Oh no the hell you don't.” Is her reply. I really don't have time for stubborn Madison.

“Madison I swear I will fill you in on all the details, but it's gonna have to be later.” I reply quickly as I run into the bathroom to freshen up.

“Fine!” She says and I can tell she's pouting. “But I want every single detail later.” She adds.

“Promise.” I tell her and quickly hang up the phone. I brush my teeth and wash my face quickly before running out the bathroom to answer the door.

“Good morning.” Ashley smiles when I finally open the door.

“Hey.” I force out a smile. “Sorry I was um... I--”

“It's cool.” She waves me off with her free hand; the other one occupied by her guitar.

“Were you writing?” I question, glancing down at her guitar.

“Yeah.” She nods and smiles. “I um, I have the urge to write most mornings. It's just something I do.” She shrugs it off.

“Cool.” I nod, pursing my lips. We stare at each other for a moment before I drop my head. I see her smile in my peripheral vision.

“Anyways, I came to see if maybe you wanted breakfast or something. I cooked some...” She thumbs towards the kitchen. “Lexy's gone to work and I didn't want it to go to waste so if you want some it's um.. it's here.” She finishes, awkwardly stepping back. Glancing from the kitchen back to me.

“Sure.” I nod and smile. “Let me just put some clothes on and I'll be right out.” I tell her.

“Okay.” She nods and backs up away from the door. I bite my cheek to hide my smile as I close the door to get dressed.

After getting dressed I headed towards the kitchen.

Sittin' here, on this lonely dock. Watch the rain play on the ocean top. All the things I feel I need to say. I can't explain in any other way.” Ashley's voice stops me before I get around the corner to the kitchen. She just has this way about her when she sings. She gets so completely lost in her music. Kinda like how I am with my photography I guess.