Chapter V- The Dance

I scratched my head, while facing the bronze framed body mirror.

I was wearing a jungle green, wide and long sleeved gown with a white piña cloth over my shoulders. There were tiny stars made of gold pasted on my full skirt and black ruffles and laces on the bodice.

Isabella put on a black laced chocker with a cluster of gold stars and diamonds on my neck.

“I will just get the perfume, Señorita. It’s in Doña Catalina’s room.” Isabella said and rushed out of the room.

My hair was still down and undone.

I walked to the bed and sat.

I miss Ciro.” I whimpered. I remembered when I was still in the Cruzs’ house; Ciro used to knock at my door to see if I’m alright and would muse about how beautiful I looked.

But I realized something that surprised me a little.

I am thinking of Leonel too much these days.

I snorted in denial to myself. It’s strange, yes, because we were never close.

I bit my lower lip and smiled to myself.

Knock knock.

I hurried to the door and opened it.

My mouth fell slightly open.

“Bienve.” I said with surprise.

He smiled a little. “Dear,” He looked at me from down and up. “You look so look so lovely.”

I thought I blushed. “Thank you dear.”

He smiled ever so sweetly. It was strange how my heart raced and felt good every time he smiled like that.

“Um, do you need something?” I said.

“Oh. Forgive me for bothering you and going to your room. It’s just that… I want to give you something.”

I blinked. “You want to give me something? Sure, come in.” I opened the door wider.

He looked at me first and walked in. He stood in front of the mirror and gestured for me to come closer.

I walked till I was beside him.

I eyed him, questioning and still smiling.

He put both of his hands on my shoulders and twirled me to face the mirror. I turned my eyes on his reflection, and balled my fist. I felt cold.

He got something from his pocket. He raised his hands revealing a thin chain of gold with an emerald pendant, with tiny diamonds around it.

My eyes widened.

He slowly, and very careful not to lay a hand on my neck, he put on me the necklace.

I put my eyes on the necklace’s reflection that was now on me.

Then I gasped. I felt Goosebumps all over me.

The antique mirror suddenly was so familiar to me and the surrounding felt strange. I can see a girl in front of me, the mirror. She looked like me except for the hair. My eyes widened more. Her eyes widened the same time I did.

I swallowed and turned around, hoping to get a relief from seeing Bienve still behind me.

He looked at me, with eyes twinkling and a smile sweeter than ever, revealing his pearly white teeth.

“Do you like it?” He asked in a different voice, a more gentle and soft one.

I blinked. “Y-yes, very lovely…”