Chapter XXIX

Chapter 29

“Sir, Lieutenant Colonel Lopez is already in Cavite el Viejo, and he is leading the troops against the revolutionaries.” The guard said.

“What? He did what?! No, he can’t do that.” Don Leonardo’s eyes widened.

“He now has His Majesty’s permission.”

“Say what?!” He raged. “It can’t be. I am the Governor General, I am still here. He can’t lead the troops!”

“But he is now, sir, and I’m afraid… you are not the Governor General now… Don Lopez is.”

Don Leonardo’s eyes widened more, that he now looked horrifying. “What are you saying?! You must be crazy…”

“sir, please take a look at this.” The guard gave him a newspaper fresh from Madrid, announcing the changing of the new Governor General.

Don Leonardo clutched the paper in his strong hands and crushed it soon after he’s done reading.

“He had made his way into his Majesty’s favor… he was doing everything to climb up above me and now he did it…” He said with shaking voice while looking at the space.

The paper fell from his hands to the floor. Ciro took it and started reading immediately.

Then he got closer to me and whispered.

“The Government in Spain already knows of father’s doings. His taking overpriced taxes, getting more part from the planters’ lands and everything, Alix, everything. And Bienve’s father is behind all these. He was investigating papa ever since, without anyone of us knowing it…”

I looked at Don Leonardo again, whose face was starting to turn very pale.

“Do you think… Leonel has a hand on this as well?” I whispered back to Ciro.

“No.” He shook his head. “I know him, he will not do this to us.”

I nodded in agreement. I knew blood is still thicker for Leonel.

“But.. what will happen now?”

Ciro frowned. It was the first time he looked like a man, not a weak boy. He looked at his father.

“Papa!” He suddenly screamed. I looked at Don Leonardo’s direction and saw him fall on chair, his hand on his chest.

Everyone rushed up to him.

“Ellena! Get papa’s medicines!” Ciro commanded.

A servant started fanning Don Leonardo. He looked unconscious now.

“Please forgive me for being the bearer of this terrible news.” The guard gravely said.

“You can go now. Thank you for the information.” Siervo calmly said.

The guard slowly and respectfully bowed deeply to the former Governor General one last time and left.

“Señorita, perhaps, you want to go to your room for now and rest?” Siervo said.

I shook my head. Then I looked at him. “Please, accompany me outside.”

~*~

“What happened to Don Leonardo?”

“It was a mild heart attack, Señorita. Nothing to worry so much about.” Siervo quietly said.

 I nodded and continued staring at the trees that surrounded us.

“It’s..because I did not went away with Bienve…is it not?” I softly said.

“Señorita….it could be, but it couldn’t be as well.”