Chapter X- Just One Day

A plucky spirit she is

A bizarre strength form her

That my heart could ever miss

My eyes couldn’t have seen better

And my ears couldn’t miss a lovelier voice

Still grace and substance she endows

A one perfectly carved ice

But just once this foolish heart wants

To make her smile and give

Something as she as well my day lights

And this to see I live

R.

I bit my lip and smiled while looking away from the paper in my hands. It was blue with intricate designs that couldn’t be from no other than Robell.

It’s been more or less than a month since the Treasure room incident, where Robell came to help me, and since then he never came here. I guessed it’s because of the revolution.  But he never ceased to lighten everything everyday. His words were with me. Every morning, I learned to rise up early and go to the back garden to wait for Goya. He came charging with a blue paper in his collar. It was a poem, or some days a small note to brighten my day. He did it everyday. I guess he knew that I needed his presence for courage.

As for the diaries and papers, I never got anything in three weeks.  The treasure room was the most likely place for the diary. But that night I snuck inside, and Bienve found me there,  he found out I stole the key from his room and now the guards were even more rigid than ever.  I guesed he sensed that I was already looking for those important things.

But the one thing that distracted me the most was the visions. I can call them visions now because everyday thy got more solid, more realistic. Perhaps if it had been another person in my place, she could have been thrilled about all this, but not for me.  The visions or scenes took place right in front of me most of the times. Sometimes they were happy moments, that made me smile a bit but most of the time they were daunting, and scary I always found myself shivering and gasping. It was all so dreamy but yet so real. And a thing that’s so noticeable was that I know the people in those visions. Sometimes there was Don Cipriano, Doña Catalina, Doña Alodia or Bienve. Even Monica. All of them with such fresher faces, smiling most of the times, and younger.  Those made me think, was I seeing things of the past?

I can think or imagine everything now. With me in this old world and all this seemingly fantasies, I can’t say there’s some things impossible now.  Perhaps I was really seeing events from the very past, perhaps I was just dreaming or who knows, perhaps I’m seeing ghosts.

I saw one of them one day after cleaning my hair with Isabella. After a long day helping and accompanying me, she said goodbye and got to bed. It was midnight and I just finished reading a book. It was a normal night of mine, with the usual cool wind blowing from the big window, and the smell of the lamp. Then a scene took place by the foot of my bed.

I saw two middle aged meztizos.  I recognized one as Don Cipriano. He was sitting behind his mahogany desk and another man was standing in front of him. He was wearing a black frock coat with a matching hat. It wasn’t a good scene, as the two were shouting at each other. They were talking in Spanish and were cursing. For some reason I did not know, my hands began shaking as I sat up in my bed and leaned on the headboard, clutching my blanket. My feet and palms started to sweat cold sweat but my eyes were glued to the scene. Then something caught my eye. It was a girl by the door opened ajar. With hands shaking like mine, she listened to the conversation with fearful eyes, almost teary, just like mine.