Chapter VII- Rain after a short Summer

Slowly and carefully, I opened the big steel back gate of the mansion. Thankfully, and strangely, there were no guards around. There must have some kind of an occasion or visitor. I looked around and turned to close the gate the moment I was inside.

“Phew.” I sighed in relief.

Goya gave out a high pitched bark.

I held his muzzle. “Hey, stop. Be quiet, understand?”

I let go and he became quiet, looking around.

“Now let’s go.” I said to myself. I thought about how to introduce Goya to the family. I hoped they will accept him.

I turned around the mansion and my jaw fell.

“Monica dear.”

Eloisa was standing at the side of the way, with her arms cross over her chest. She stared at me with the same glare she gave me everyday, save for she’s smiling today. Smiling devilishly.

I struggled to compose myself and sighed faintly. “Uhm, Eloisa. A good day to you.”

“Yes, I see you had a good time.” She said, raising her eyebrow. “But Bienve does not.”

I bit my lip. “I know. It’s so bad of me to just disappear. But I---“

“I know you do something we do not know. I can feel it. You are keeping something from us.”

I frowned. “What? Keeping something from you all? What are you saying? How can you say so?”

She looked away. “I just… I just feel it. I feel it, strongly. I am certain, and Monica,” She faced me. “I know you know it’s true.”

I tried to keep cool and stammered trying to laugh. “Eloisa, you do not know how mad you sound.” I faked a laugh again. “Really. Secrets? Oh please, I was lost. It’s that simple. Why do you have to make it a big deal?” I raised m eyebrow and frowned. I gave her an arrogant look before quickly walking past her.

I pressed my eyes closed while walking away, sighing.

I heard her exhaled and ran to me. 

“Ow!”

She grabbed my arm by elbow and gripped it with all her might.

“What’s your problem?! Let me go!”

Goya started barking.

You are my problem.” She said with her jaws tight. She put her eyes on Goya and then back to me. “Belittle my words, say I am mad saying these things, but I am serious, I know you are keeping something.”

I furrowed. How can she know? I felt my hands became cold. Her glare this time was chilling. Yes she sounded mad, even immature but when it’s true, I can’t help the feeling of being paranoid.

I suddenly cannot find my tongue. I just stared at her. I swallowed

“Eloisa!” A strong voice from behind said. I already knew who it was.

I blinked and pulled my arm away from her when her grip loosed a bit.

We both turned around to face Bienve.

Bienve looked at me while slowly walking towards us. Eloisa turned to me and I saw her little smirk. She’s expecting me to be scolded by Bienve.

I looked away and just bowed my head, clutching Goya tightly.

Bienve stopped in front of me. Everyone was quiet. I held my breath.

“Monica. Where have you been?” He said in a firm and serious voice.