Chapter XXII- Change of Heart

Chapter 22

“Dear here are your candies,” Doña Beatriz smiled as she approached us.

Camilla quickly forgot about Robell and she smiled widely.

“Thank you grandmamma.”

“You are most welcome dear.”

“Oh grandmamma I saw papa there, near the roof, I thought he will fall down!”

“Papa?” She turned to me.

“Oh no. That’s nothing. She just saw someone who looks like… Leonel.”

She nodded. “Oh dear you must have been missing Leonel.”

“And he wears a mask and a-“

“How about you go inside and find Chico? He would love to play with you.” I tried to smile. Doña Beatriz can’t know about Robell.

“Oh yes. Leonel is now getting out of the study to join you here.” She said then she turned to Camilla. “Yes Chico does not have a class today. Find him and play with him.” She stroked Camilla’s hair.

The little girl nodded then kissed my cheek. “When will you come back, mama?”

“Soon, darling.”

She nodded then walked towards the door.

Doña Beatriz sighed. “Oh that dear child. How perfect it could be if you can just stay here and be her mother with Leonel as father.” She then covered her mouth with her handkerchief. “Oh what did I say? Oh forget it dear.”

I chuckled.

“Oh here he is.”

I turned and saw Leonel walking towards us. He smiled at his mother.

“Good morning mama.”

“Yes good morning to you Leonel. How is the investigation going?”

“Papa found it impossible to take back those that have been lost, mama. He will report the matter about the taxes and… we will just have to be more careful after this.” He calmly said.

I knew the matter can’t be taken to the authorities for Don Leonardo had his share of some illegal doings as well.

“All right, I do not want to hear anymore about this. Fare you well dear, both of you and enjoy.”

We climbed the carriage and off we go.

I sat beside Leonel instead of across him. I had some things in my mind that I wanted to ask.

I looked at him. He was quiet and it was obvious that his mind was somewhere. He was leaning by the window with his chin rested in his hand. He was always poised when outside so it was a little odd seeing him like that, in such deep thought.

“You know its Robell. Won’t you tell your men to go hunt him?” I quietly said.

He then raised his head and turned to me. “He’s... not that easy to catch. No one has ever caught him. It will be just a waste of time and effort. Why, are you worrying about him?”

I swallowed then shook my head but I wasn’t able to say no.

“Alix, I have something to ask of you.”

“Go ahead.” I subtly smiled.

“Can I just… call you Monica again?”

I blinked and looked away for a moment. “Um, why is that?”

“I just love calling you Monica. I feel like I’m with Monica again. You are Monica with your air, thoughts and… heart anyway.” He tried to smile.