Chapter XXXIV

Chapter 34

Later that day, Ellena and the other servants brought foods on the hill. It was really a feast and I found out that Doña Beatriz was the head chef.

They were all glowing and cheerful, like there was really a formal wedding. But all they knew was that Leonel proposed to me.

 “My dear daughter,” Don Leonardo calmly said while drinking an expensive Madrid wine. “I never… imagined or realized how strong your love to each other is. I am now aware that I have been an obstacle to the two of you. Please do forgive me for that.”

“Of course I do, papa. You didn’t know, so you never meant to do that.” I assured him, but the truth was, I doubted he will let us be in case he knew about us.

“And Alix dear… I also never thought of Leonel capable of loving a woman this much. Please do continue being an inspiration to him. He has dreams and ambitions now and it’s all because of you. I trust you Alix, to be forever faithful to him. “

“Of course, papa.” I softly said.

And, if he ever fools around, do tell me,”

I chuckled. “Papa, I trust he won’t do that.”

He laughed. It was good seeing him laughing again. For the first time after months, his pale face reddened with glee and he looked handsomer, younger, like how he looked when I first saw him, when he was still the Governor-General and very content of his life.  “Yes, yes. I know my son.”

Don Leonardo took my hand. “Alix dear…you have no idea how different I feel now. I never saw Leonel happier and my heart is swelling because of happiness as well. Thank you Alix.”

I smiled at him. He then embraced me and tapped my back.

Then there was Ciro too. He was wearing a casual morning coat and his hair was slightly tousled. He looked so fresh. These past few days, he looked more like a grown up man than a teenage boy. But now, his shy self and timid posture was back.

He sheepishly smiled at me the moment our eyes met. He walked towards me and smiled wider.

“I am happy for you and my brother.”

“Thank you dear. I can’t wait for you to be my brother soon.” I cheerfully said. But then I realized what I’ve just said and forgot how he felt for me. Now I wondered what he must be thinking.

It came to me that he proposed to me before. But it was rather out of place, unexpectedly and at the wrong time. I was aware that he was hurt and embarrassed then. Now I hoped that he won’t remember it anymore.

“Uh, yes…yes, likewise…”

I bit my lip at the awkwardness of our situation.

“Ah…Alix…Please, do not think of those days, ever.” He shook his head and his eyes narrowed.

“I try…. I know I embarrassed you and caused you such-“

“Alix, I was not thinking. Let us just forget about it.” Then he beamed a little smile. “Why, you’ll be my brother’s bride sooner! I can’t wait for that day.”

“Ciro, I don’t think I’ve thanked you enough for such kindness and patience you showed me after all this time...”

His face became blank. “Oh…Alix, do not think of that. I only want to see you happy.”

I smiled heartedly at him. Then I took his hand. “Thank you very much. I have found a treasure in you, Ciro. I wish nothing but the best for you, coz you deserve it.”